toshiba laptop won't turn on/charge?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by bazoski1er, Feb 13, 2012.

1. hey gc, i'm not very good at this computer stuff and i have a problem. my toshiba satelite laptop will not turn on. when i first tried, the dead battery light flashed but when i put the charger in, nothing happened. i have since tried different chargers and power outlets to no avail. i also took the battery out and put it back in, no change.

has anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it?

any help would be greatly aprpeciated. there are some files on there i really need.

:bongin:

2. It is a longshot but try

Remove the battery
    Hold down the POWER ON button for at least 60 seconds, hold it down for the entire minute, so it releases any built up charge. Then put the battery back in, plug it up, and try to turn it on.

I have had this work sometimes on laptops doing the same thing. If that doesn't work its not the most difficult thing to remove the hard drive, buy a simple adapter, and get your files that way.

3. It could be your power jack. I hope it's not. Mine got fucked lately on my little Compaq and it'll cost me £70 to fix it. That's about $100.

F'real.

I'm sure you could get cheaper if you looked though.

4. I have a Toshiba Sat that did this, power button would blink a few times and then go off and hard drive light wouldn't light up. Had extended warranty and when I called they told me to do the battery and power button thing, no help. So they had me send in computer and now I' on my 4th motherboard...like previous poster said POS...go shopping..I bought a MBA and haven't looked back...

5. tried it then, didn't work :( thanks though

it's only a year old and it was still running perfectly until friday

nice input, now kindly fuck off.

i think it must be the power jack. it's the only thing that makes sense (to me, anyway).

any more ideas are welcome though i need all the help i can get!

6. my warranty expired literally like two weeks ago.. fuck

7. Similar thing happened to my toshiba, its a piece of junk. i got a new lenovo i like it

8. My wife also had a toshiba that wouldn't charge, and it was the power supply box on the cord. She bought a universal type one for $79...which fixed the problem. Maybe you could borrow one from someone to try first...

9. already tried my neighbours charger, no luck. mine worked on her laptop though...

10. Shit, that's too bad about your warranty, maybe try a local computer store to troubleshoot it?

11. yeah i think i may have to take it somewhere so they can have a look if my dad and brother can't work it out. shit sucks though i'm confined to using a prehistoric desktop with windows 98 in the meantime :(

12. My Satellite would run really hot for a week or so before it would shut down, I feel like there was an underlying problem with not being able to cool the motherboard which caused the failure. In fact I asked a neighbor who repaired computers if overheating could have been the cause and he told me to check the fan for dust or other obstructions. I asked him if the repair people wouldn't have done that and he laughed....

13. If it were working, you'd be able to remove the battery and run it off wall power, so it's not the battery. If your charger worked on her laptop, then it's not the charger. It's pretty common for lousy hardware to not maintain proper contact when plugged in, and that's what this sounds like. The computer itself probably works just fine, but there's no power getting to it, probably because the receptacle has been warped. Lousy hardware is to blame.

14. the thing is the jack doesn't look warped or anything *shrugs*