Topping vs. Fimming

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by StickyFingerzz, Oct 16, 2009.

1. I've been researching growing techniques and just learned about topping and fimming. I have to ask, why would you top your plants when you can just fim them the whole time? Wouldn't it result in more colas this way? Thanks

2. IDK for me personally, when I top I control the outcome. The result is pretty symmetrical as well. Topping to me kind of duplicates your plant. Fimming is cutting the head to turn one into four heads I believe. Its trully a difference, with topping you can apply it to many techniques. I just dont fimm enough to give granted information. For me topping is the way to go. Its so precise and easy. You can without fucking up easily double and triple your plants yeild. In a controlled manner and without razor blading through your main head.

my two cents

apz

3. If you grow your plant normally you will have one big main stem bud/cola at the top and smaller colas below that.

If you are growing more than one plant, some growers like to keep the majority of the colas uniform in height, so that the light is evenly spread out over the plant/s canopy.
    This in turn will not give you the big main stem cola, but alot more colas which the light will be able to get at (penetrate), doing so will greatly increase your yield.

I tried fimming before and i found that it's a hit and miss techneque. I did alot of researched before i did it. I fimmed the plants accordingly, and i ended up with around 75% of the plants Fimmed and the rest were topped. Luckily i don't grow under just one lamp. The plants didn't end up uniform in height, so i had to place the fimmed and topped plants under different lamp heights.

More colas doesn't mean more yield, you can only have a certain amoung of colas in a given area. Try and work out how many colas you want in an area, 6 to 8" square is a nice area for each cola, giving them room to breathe and for the fan leave to recieve light.

4. #4 StickyFingerzz, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
    Alright thanks for the advice. It just seems to me that fimming and topping are basically the same idea, accept fimming will result in twice the main stem outcome as topping. But you said that sometimes, even when fimmed properly, it doesn't work?

5. fimming gives you side branches without disturbing the main cola..
    once you top now you will have 2 main colas smaller ...and so forth,,
    even when trained i find the very top of the plant if keep in tact and only fimmed will still produce 1 huge cola, with all the side branches having colas just smaller.

even in a scrog that main cola shows up...imo...guys.

6. perfect. :)