Topping, in regards to quality and quantity

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gamemastax, Aug 7, 2008.

1. So, I (hypothetically) have a few plants and I was wondering. Does topping really affect the quality of the finished buds? Obviously it increases the yield, but I had heard before that it would give you "twice the bud at half the potency" and I want to know if there is any truth in this. One plant I fimmed the hell out of has the stickiest most dank buds of all of them, they are all over the plant and frosty delicious. The others were topped only once or twice and they have much larger buds (fewer of them, though) that look less sticky delicious.

Edit: It is also worth noting that these were all grown from bagseed, so I'm not comparing them as if they were the same strain, I'm just wondering in general.

2. I'm pretty sure the "twice the bud at half the potency" is hogwash. All topping and fimming does is change how many top colas the plant will produce. Some strains do very well being topped, like blueberry produces way more bud if topped. However some strains produce a lot less bud with many tops. It's different for every strain really.

3. Thanks, chemical. I figured my friend was incorrect to say that. Anyone else have some input?