Topping during flowering NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SkunkyBrains, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Can I top my plant if she is 3wks into flowering? The canopy is getting to close to my 1kw hps, and its starting to crisp some of my budding colas. They are getting burned to a crisp, literally. ANY AND ALL ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

2. bend it away from the light tie it down asap you don't want to cut bits off if you can help it

3. Tie her down, don't top :) topping is for vegging only
    Get some butchers string (because it's sterile) and tie her down.
    You can shorten the string more if they get too big again to keep them. Lose without burning :)

4. Thank you, to both of you. Thats what Im gonna have to do. What about the burned cola, should I leave it, or trim it off?

5. You can top if absolutely needed, you just won't get a main cola and you will get two smaller buds

6. Yeh Two tiny buds if it's durin flowering because it'll take a week to heal then needa to restart making the buds from scratch...

How badly burnt? Any pics..
    Trim the burnt bit off if you have some good pointy snips, when I burnt mine I just chopped the top bud off main cola to stop mold and rest grew back

7. [quote name='"Ozgrower"']Yeh Two tiny buds if it's durin flowering because it'll take a week to heal then needa to restart making the buds from scratch...

How badly burnt? Any pics..
    Trim the burnt bit off if you have some good pointy snips, when I burnt mine I just chopped the top bud off main cola to stop mold and rest grew back[/quote]

Ima say your wrong because I had to top during flower many times and still got two 1/8nugs dried and cured from that top and that was under fluros

8. Tie her down an then keep doing it to train her sideways instead of up, also you could attach some duct to a fan and put it so it sucks at least some of the heat away from the bulb if you can ?

9. I have my hood connected to ducting, and a fan that blows it into my attic. I was able to lift the light up a little bit last night, and hopefully for now that will help. Im not ever gonna let my plant veg for so long again.

10. Yeah see that why I commented because my first grow I did the same an ended up letting it grow and burn an it didn't help, u see the burn it goes through will make it concentrate its energy towards ending up blowin out your whole grow. You are best just losing your tip if you are stuck for space completely in my honest opinion.

Speaking from one grower to another I had your pain an thugged it out an carried on and believe me it didn't do me any good.

Do what u can but in the end losing a top is better than having no top and a really bad performing lower plant that yields small popcorn buds that are half assed.

That's my two cents right there pm me if u want any more help :)

11. Thanks dude, I think its gonna come to that. How much will I screw up my yield by clipping the tips off, so they quit burning? Theres only 2 burned colas right now, but its just a matter of time til the rest start.

12. I'm not saying you will not get buds I'm saying if you top during flowering you WILL get less bud at harvest as flowering is building buds.
    If you cut it off half way through flowering it has to start gain and then at harvest it'll be a half finished bud...

I agree when you replant get the bottom set it lower in the soil :)
    Can't wait to see this baby bloom

13. Im gonna clip the burned parts off. Theres ALOT of top colas coming up, so another one will take its place. Id rather lose a few tips than a few z's cuz I didnt clip it and it burned up.

14. Yeah go with that. No burn is better than any burn for sure

15. i wouldnt trim the top buds off if they are just burned, they will continue to grow, and once the leafs are easier to snip, if you absolutely feel it necessary clip the tips of the burned sections off of the leafs only, not the bud. all the leafs will be trimmed anyway after drying, so it may not look the prettiest before you chop it, but it will be the same smoke.

when i have plants outgrow my lights, i put them off to the side and rotate them every day. if you tie down half assed matured buds they are only going to get light to the top side of the branch. when they are off the the side you can rotate them for even amount of lighting. ive tried both ways, since the past couple clones i flowered are mostly sativa they like to stretch and its hard to judge how tall they will get. usually rule of thumb is 2x-3x taller in flower from beginning to end which is what i saw at first with the strain that ive been growing.. the last 3 ended up closer to 5x taller, unexpected but thing like that happen.

you could also use some cfl supplemental lighting if you put them off to the side of the hps to get at least some light to the shaded side.