topping advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by blanchdave, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Heres 3 pics of the plant.... the first 1 has the spot im thinking of snipping circled....its approx 1mth vegging and the cut will be above the 7th node.

Is this advisable ?

Any advice welcome !!! :smoke:

Attached Files:

2. usually when i top mine i cut the next nod up from the one you have circled
    why cut off that growth when you coulf just cut the newer stuff and have the same effect

3. ^I agree. The node above your target area is already developed. You could have cut at that circle perhaps a week earlier, now I would target the next node up. Or, cut where you have circled but realize you will lose about a week of top growth that way.

4. Thanks Guys!!!

Ill go with your advice and hit the next node up

5. Topping should be done at the TOP of the plant. What works best for me is to just use my fingers and spread apart the top growth of the plant until you can see a tiny little sprout that is growing at the top of the cola. Pluck that little guy off with tweezers or your fingers (if they are small and nimble enough) and two growth nodes will emerge from that one. I repeat this process over and over, at least 5 or six times. I also LST my plants as seen in the sticky on this forum and in my 3rd week of veg I have between 12 and 18 bud sites already developed per plant. I was scared to abuse my plants this much at first but after helping a friend with a few grows I saw how well this worked for him and borrowed the technique. The only draw back that I can see is that I actually end up with plants that are too bushy and thick! They require a decent amount of pruning and manipulating just so that light can penetrate the first 3" of the canopy :)
    This technique can also help to control the growth of plants so that you can maintain a consistent canopy height