Topped vs non topped

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PunkSka8erV2, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Heres a compar of a topped plant ( on your right ) And a non topped plant ( left ) .. if anyone is interested In topping their plants :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sod topping plants. LST all the way.

3. if you top your plant you won't get a big donkey dick...when I switched to autos nobody topped. They had a bad rep of being delicate. Just the opposite, that ruderalis they are crossed with is the hardiest and most vigorous plant I have grown. However, they can usually only handle one toppping or they won't have enough time to recover in their short lifespan. One top probably delays 2 weeks or more and no real improvement in yield if you harvest every little bud on an untopped plant. I like it because it makes the light more efficient.

4. i have some white widow seeds on the way,should be here anyday.
    Anyhow,when they do get big enough to either top or lst I was going to top some and lst some.
    just want to see which method will give me a better yield.

5. I tope my plants just once In The begining 2 weeks intoo vegs

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thats The First Time , Will see if The topped plant Gers better yield :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. SOG nontop all the way if u need the weight fast,,, but if your growing for awhile, u can top and LST all the branches to be same height its prety cool lookin too..

8. Some things you should never do. Re-pot an auto and never top an auto. Not even once. You are only hurting yield. She starts flowering automatically in the third week. If you top her and it takes two weeks to recover... Basically cutting two weeks grow time off of a plant that only grows for 9 weeks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. I topped my white widow twice and did a little lst. My plant is nice and bushy now

• Like Like x 1
  10. Growing in an indoor environment you have to sculpt your plant to it's surroundings to get the most yield. The scrog is the evolution of the topping and sea of green methods. Indoors to get the most gram per watt / per square foot you want a top sitting in the ideal spot for the light in every square inch of the room. This will never be done without topping the plant. The second part of that is training. You have to top and train. It's not enough just to top. That's where scrogs and supercropping come in.

I grew my first GDP crop only topping one plant the rest were straight up stalks. This second crop I've topped about 3 times each plant.

When you top is really important as well. You want to work the first top in as early as you can so you have a big fork way down on the plant you can start spreading apart. I also used strings to pull the tallest tops off to the side. This allows the middle of the plant to catch up to the outside. The smaller of the two is almost perfectly trained. The other has some tops outgrowing some. These are two phenotypes of GDP one is a stout short tight noded indica dominant the other is more stretchy and a much more voracious grower. I'll probably dump the small genetics. The bigger one is also more colorful. I have 10 tops on the small plant and 12-16 on the big one. I'm hoping for at least 50% more yield than last crop. I also have 50% more light and 50% more nutrients so that should help. =)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Single stalk of same strain.
    [​IMG]

11. I used to be an avid topper. Then I was asked to not top my Scrog. My nets filled up faster. Bending a branch over will give the same outcome as topping but you don't loose the main top. Plus all the bud sites along the bent branch will grow larger, not just 2. Now I apply this to both my lst and scrogged plants and won't go back to topping

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I think if you're committed to vegging the topped plant slightly longer it can be a tool but killset's technique is superior in that is doesn't delay growth if you just bend the plant and it will naturally almost top itself as middle branches reach for the light and the bent top bends back over to reach itself. Very old skool technique, let it grow for a while and bent it into a bannana then tie it down.

13. I topped my plants about a week ago and this is what im seeing now on most of them [​IMG]

Is this too early for a second top? I have 6plants in a 4x4 under a 600hid.
    Or do i wait until new growth tips have 4 nodes as well. This is my first grow and i am contemplating another top or throwing up a scrog or not

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. I would give it some time to grow out a little more. Each time you top it slows the plant way down. Bending or tying branches down can give you just as much branching by exposing lower nodes to good light. They power up to the level of the others.

Look up supercropping and low stress training cannabis on growweedeasy.

15. Same strains/environment/feeding schedules. The only differences is topping and pot size.

Attached Files:

16. #16 GoldGrower, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Repotting an auto is absolutely fine, in fact if done properly it can increase growth

Topping an auto is fine if done early enough

Not all autos start flowering at 3 weeks of age, I've had an auto go 8 weeks before flowering

Topping, if done correctly will not cause anything for the plant to recover from

I personally don't top as I usually have a lot of plants for the space so I need mine to grow tall and narrow. But I do start them off in small pots and then transplant and I get better growth from doing this. The whole transplanting auto thing is not only a myth, but a misunderstood one as well

17. My topped auto is yielding a lot more than my natural auto