Top Soil??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Indi420, May 23, 2009.

1. #1 Indi420, May 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2009
    So I was at wal-mart today buying all my grow stuff, I'm growing 2 lowryder #2 feminized and 1 g13 quicksliver under 204 total watts of cfl (8 26watts) and the only thing I did not get today was soil, all they had was miracle gro (ew) I asked if they had anything with out ferts and they just pointed me to top soil for 1.54 a bag.

Will this work? is top soil the same as potting soil?

I would mix it with perlite.

2. I bought Scotts topsoil at Walmart (a dollar and change per bag as well) and my sprouts are looking nicely.

I don't really think it matters (unless you are going for canibus cup entry buds) since you will be adding nutes eventually. This is my first grow tho, so maybe I already fucked up and someone else can give you better advice =P

3. the shit they had stock piled? in the white bag with red label. same stuff I was looking at.

I just wanted to make sure -thanks.

4. Yeah that's the stuff.

I know that the pros here recommend NOT buying any pre fert soil. So I just went with the generic stuff. In about three weeks I will head over to the hydro shop for the nutes. I think we'll be alright dude.

5. Miracle Grow soil isnt the devil everyone makes it out to be. Ive pulled off most of my harvests using Miracle Grow. I found that the seed starter is the best, followed by the "organic" line. Now tho i switched to the peat moss with perlite added, bot miracle grow. Added some worm castings, and dolomite and i have a very nice, airy light soilless mix.

6. dont use mirical grow, it burns!!!

read grampas grow guide, its a sticky. i am using a soil thats 0.9-0.5-0.7 so it is really really mild....

check out the grow guide and it'll help you out ALOT

7. Ive harvested about a dozen big strong beautiful ladys using miracle grow from start to finish. Ive never had a problem with it at all.

8. I'm growing little tiny dwarves though, not giant plants hehe. I got tomato feed for their foodies in a few weeks. I'm heading to lowes tomorrow to pick up high quality fertless potting soil and perlite :)

9. when i bought plants from lowes i planted them with miracle grow moisture controle and alot of them got nute burn... thats the only reasoni say no to miracle grow. high levels if you read the back of the bag. expeicaly if using other stuff on top of whats in miracle grow, and thats why also i think people get issues.

10. Yeah like i said ive only used the organic choice, the seed starter, and the regular potting mix. The latter is not at all recommended, its a dry dust made up mostly of wood chips, but i did manage 2 plants with this, tho i transplanted right before flower to the mix i made.