Top dressing with sugars?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by DeeplyROOTED87, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Can I top dress with brown sugar and then water in or is it better to let the sugars sit in the water to dissolve? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Black strap unsulphered molasses, 5-10 ml, dissolved in a gallon of water to feed to soil

3. Yes I know that but my question is, can I top dress the soil with brown sugar?

4. I suppose you could but brown sugar is just refined sugar with molasses added back. The sugars are already present in the molasses and readily usable for the microlife in the soil. But if you want to try it out and see then go for it and then show off some before and after pics. Best of luck

• Like Like x 1
  5. I don't see why not. Kinda the same except at a slower feed rate since u won't be breaking it down completely but then again that all depends on how you water. I would chug the sugar in whatever you're watering so that it can break down properly. Wouldn't top dressing sugar attract ants?? They bring all sorts of pests to your cite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maybe even rats or mice

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brown sugar will breed fly larvae. Some other guy tried it with disastrous results. I use Molasses @ 2 tsp a gallon in my nute mix.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks everyone. Good point Skullbasher. Really didn't think about the ants. I already have them now and don't need to add more lol. Thanks again

9. What exactly do you put in your mix

Sent from my U673C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. I'm using the earth juice seablast line, with oily cann, catalyst, hi-brix, bloom master and Dark Energy.

I've bumped the molasses up to 1 TBSP per gallon now that my plants are in full flower. These are large plants in 100gallon pots outside in the sun.

1800-1900ppm @ 5.5ph

Each plant gets 5 gallons of this 3 times a week.

11. You don't think that pH is kinda low?

• Like Like x 1
  12. That is the PH of the solution that is being watered into plants in soil, and no I do not.

13. If used brown sugar for years with no Ill effects.makes some frosty sweet nugs.

14. Bugs. If you're growing outside you'll attract all kinds of critters. Bears like sugar btw.

15. Start PHing that water about 1.0 higher. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Thanks for the advice however my plants are giant healthy monsters. My soil is very bio active. I'm not going to change what is working. All of the research I've done says that 5.5 is fine. I've also read that if you let the EJ line brew in a tea overnight the PH rises naturally. When first mixed it's coming in at 4.2, that will burn badly. I've seen no ill affects feeding at 1800ppm @ 5.5

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The difference between a giant healthy monster producing quality buds, and giant healthy monsters producing cup quality bud can be very small techniques. Phing organics seems to be one of them IMO. I ph my foliars, fertigation, and incoming plain water.

With a lower ph, you have the advantage of using a wider range of calcium products. So you would have that advantage. Do you know the ph of your soil?

18. most of my plants were right around 7.2 last time I PH'ed the soil.

• Agree Agree x 1