Too tall

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Nana, Jan 24, 2016.

1. I have only had a few problems with my first grow and I would like to know how I can prevent my plants from stretching too much out of the box here's a picture in my 3 foot box[​IMG]
    Do I need more light in the growing stage or do I need the lights closer to the plants

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. What kind of light are you using currently?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. I started with three of the 60 W CFL daylight bulbs in this box

4. [​IMG]

It is 2 ft tall and they are now in my 3 ft box

5. I am now using the flowering bulbs that they gave me with the stealth box and all I know is the light appearance is 2700 K and there is also three of them I believe the same 60 W

6. Yes they are a bit stretchy. More light or keeping them closer to the plants might have helped a bit. Now they're near the top the nodes seem to be a lot closer together (unless they're flowering?)

If you look how dark it is down the bottom half of the picture, you've grown them a bit tall really. There's no light penetration.

You could try to LST them if the stems are still flexible enough and stlll in veg. but I'm not sure that would work very well now it needed to be thought about a few weeks ago.

You could try a scrog net so you can poke down anything that grows higher than it. Still probably a bit late for that to be much use now.

7. #7 PNWClosetGrower, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    If the plants stretching you want the light closer, personally i keep my lights as close as i can without burning them. I use hid's and don't know too much about cfls but my understanding is cfl's can be placed within like 4 inches to the plants. They stretch when they don't get enough light and they'll stop when they find it unless they're root bound in my experience. Lst and supercropping will definitely help. Don't forget you should expect them to up to tripple in height when you switch to flower.

8. #8 zthelizardking, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2016
    Disregard this post ha-ha, I see some kind folks already answered

9. Put them in a bigger box. Sativas can get up to 6-7 feet high.

10. these are carmalicious auto fem plants and I started them December 1 and they are in flower
    For my second batch (in the smallerbox) I did move the plants a little closer to the light. These two plants were started at the same time and they are from the same batch of seeds Would you have any idea why the two plants are so different in size ?

I appreciate your answers

Thank you

Wow I was thinking that they would only

Attached Files:

11. Still way too far away. Those lights need to be within a few inches. 2-3 inches from the tops. That strain does not typically have long internodes, lack of light made them stretch.

You said that you're using 3 60w bulbs but those really look like 13w (60equivalent) bulbs if that's the case you need way more light.

This is 2 1/2 inches from the lights, they are 23w 6500k bulbs:
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1453672958.660338.jpg

That's how close you need CFLs to be. And that's one of the reasons CFLs are a pain, you need to move the bulbs every few days to keep them close enough but not s close that they burn the leaves.

12. Yes that is what I am using. What wattage or bulb would you suggest
    Thanks for your help

13. #14 Justenoughforme, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
    Generally more wattage is better...

... but also very important is the color spectrum. Look for 5500 Kelvin or 2700 kelvin lights... that spectrum is more available for the plant to photosynthesis.

my cheap LED grow. 168 watts at the wall:

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1393482-My-%22Everything-Wrong%22-grow...-probably-no-harvest-:-/'>https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1393482-My-%22Everything-Wrong%22-grow...-probably-no-harvest-:-/'>https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1393482-My-"Everything-Wrong"-grow...-probably-no-harvest-:-/</a></a>

14. Wonderful. I will upgrade my CFLs in my 2 boxes
    Thank you for the help and prompt reply