Too soon for 24 hour lighting?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Lizzie1000and1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. My little sprout is 2 weeks old as of yesterday and I think the 18/6 lighting she had been under has caused her to stretch, she is growing lying down... Although her leaves are long and broad.

So, is it too soon to put her under 24 hour lights?

2. No such thing as too soon.

3. Ok then, :D

thanks!

4. 24/7 can be done on day 1. So if anything you are a little late :D

5. 18/6 wouldnt cause your plant to stretch and grow on its side. You either have the wrong type of light or not enough of it. But yes, you can do 24/0 from sprout if you want.

6. Move the light closer. When the light is not close all a plant does is stretch and reach for the light till it grows skinny and falls over. Use a tooth pick or something to help her up if she's on her side. If its a CFL light you need that sucker 2-4 inches away from the plant.

7. :eek: I best get her under 24/7 then!

8. The bulbs are full spectrum 26 watts cfl - I used the same lights over a year ago to grow in soil, so I know they are good lights.

She strengthened up today, she is growing straight up now! :confused:

9. The thing is with the AG is that the canopy sits on an extendable arm and it cannot get closer to the plant...

10. raise the plants with stuff under them. What kind of light is it?

11. Ah never mind. AG grows never turn out well it seems good luck with it though! Add some CFLs to stop that stretching just checked it out. All your plant will do is that. Its stretching for the light since its to weak. If its to weak for a sprouting you can bet its to weak to grow with.

12. Can't raise her or the reservoir, there are 2 26 watts cfl.

13. I didn't realize it was a Aerogarden till after I posted.

14. #14 Lizzie1000and1, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
    No harm, no foul.

It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye, then it's called a sport!

15. LIGHT Weed (Cannabis) Growing Guide:

Just throwing this at you.

CFL watt - lumens

55 - 3500
    60 - 4000
    65 - 4500
    120 - 9000
    125 - 9500
    150 - 12000
    200 - 15000

Every CFL watt is about 65 lumens.

16. What is the philosophy behind 24 hr lighting? It rarely happens in nature, why would you do it with an indoor grow? Not knocking it, just trying to figure out the appeal.

17. Rarely as in never happens in nature, at least on earth that is :D

Cannabis can withstand a 24hour lighting period during its veg stage no problem though. It speeds up the veg process and you can go into flowering quicker. The only real growth that occurs during let's say an 18/6 light schedule is mainly the roots when the lights are off. An 18/6 schedule is also a little easier on the plant because it won't be photosynthesizing 24/7.

It's all preference really and you could read all day about people's light schedules and not come out with a definitive answer.

18. The Longest Day of the Year

Not that you could get mj to grow at the north or south pole...

19. Bah. 1 day and in the most remote region ever.

20. I like 24 hour lighting in the winter especially to help keep a stable temperature in the grow area.