Too many plants - should i remove some or grow on?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by greenops, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Considering the general rule of 1 plant per sqf, then theoretically I could grow up to 16 plants in my 4 x 4 tent.

Expecting a 50% female ratio I germinated 31 regular beans.
    To my surprise I ended up with 26 females.

Grown under 600w HPS, 1 gal pots, multiple drip feed, DTW system, it got packed real quick so I removed 4 female plants.
    Now I got 21 females left.

I flipped the switch 23 - 27 days after they sprouted, currently 38 days total, 12 days in 12/12, see pictures below.

This grow is still pretty manageable.
    As my objective is to find keeper phenos, whose clones ill be growing after this, it would be ideal if i could grow out all 21 of them.

I'm just concerned that a packed tent may be more prone to pests and diseases. I lost a crop to PM once, i'll do anything to prevent something like that from happening again.

Any advice from experienced growers are appreciated!
    Especially if anyone has grown in a fully packed grow tent. How did that turn out?

Additional info:

There are 5 fans for circulation
    They were 7 to 10 inches tall when i flipped them.

The strains are:

2 Dedhead OG
    3 Vortex
    5 Cheeseberry Haze
    5 Chucky's Bride
    4 Cheeto Kush
    2 Pineapple Diesel

Attached Files:

2. Your canopy looks nice and even for now, so no immediate height issues. Not too crowded, maximizing your light. What size buckets are you using, 4L?

I usually run four plants in the same space w lst, great results. I've started a second tent like yours with 12 plants ( 6 strains) and 4L pots. This seems full enough as I've fimmed them all and also want the secondary buds to ripen. Flowering next week. Even in my organic setup its a hassle to water so many pots and tune the nutrient requirements for each strain. Your setup will require much more attention re watering and nutes, but you'll also harvest many primary colas of top grade herb. Keep us updated!

3. Yep, it all depends on how big you want to grow them.  In a 4x4 space, I like to stick with 6 bigger plants... two rows of 3 pots.  I use 3 gallon pots.  I could probably squeeze 9 in there at the size that I grow them, but watering would be more difficult, even if they are lollipopped.  6 seems to be just right.  I usually veg until they are between 24-36 inches, since I have a 7" tall tent.  I'm in a medical state that allows me 6 plants, so I haven't gone over that.  I have a 4x8 foot tent, and only use one side of it, until I get my caregiver license that is.