Too many guests

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by XVIPimp, Apr 15, 2009.

1. As of this moment, there's nearly 2000 guests browsing the forums! That's 3 times the amount of registered members browsing...

Have you guys ever thought about making the forums un-viewable to guests ? Like make them have to actually register to view the forums ?

2. I agree man, all day pages have been taking ages to load.

3. Hopefully a new server can alleviate the problems we are having but this idea might just work. Maybe have a few public forums so new people can get a taste before they register for other forum access?

4. #4 rubbs, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2009
    that wouldnt work becouse people wont sing up for any forum if they didnt know about it. and havent seen the actual posts:smoking::smoking:

never mind never mind im to slow

5. You could always say limit the number of guest viewing. That way everyone you can still view but if the servers full you must wait your turn.:eek:

6. I agree, this would be the best solution.

500 guest connections should be plenty, I would think. It would definitely make a noticeable difference in the site's speed, especially at peak times.

Hopefully superjoint see's this.

7. I talked to SJ about this last week. He won't close off viewing for the guests. He has a business to run and not allowing guests to view the site wouldn't be a good thing for him.

8. I can understand what Y'all are saying...I'm still new here, but I kinda watched awhile before I joined...if the forums were for members only and I couldn't have peeked in, I never would have joined...actually what DID make me join was seeing a thread that I couldn't resist posting in and then it said I had to be a member to post....so I joined...and, now I'm hooked...lol

9. Well couldn't you revoke access to certain forums and just let Rec Use, General, Real Life Stories and maybe a few other "general topic" areas be available to guests. It would still allow them to view the forums without giving them all access freedom.

10. Dude, I couldn't have said it better myself. I lurked for a while here before actually signing up and posting as a member

11. agreed.

Some browse the forums for a long time before deciding to add some of their own input. Then they join.:wave:

For some it only takes a post similar to this to join.:cool:

12. Most guests aren't viewing those forums, though. The City's main attraction, especially for lurkers, is the grow area.

13. And yet the grow area seems to have less active posters.... It's a funny ole world.:)

14. You could do what SA does and make only the first page visible..