Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Too Long In A Jar..?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by EastCoastToke, May 19, 2012.

1. What's up guys, I was just reading around & seeing some posts when I read when that made me wonder.. is there such thing as leaving buds in a jar TOO long?

I use to just use the medicine bottles they came in but I recently picked up a pack of Mason jars. I'm putting together a 2 gram Bud Salad sampler right now from all the indoor strains I pick up. My original plan, a long term, was to keep putting together jars full & in 3-4 years when I buy a house invite my closest friends over, bust 'em out and celebrate.

But now I'm wondering if that long in a jar will mess w/ the curing process.

2. if you never burp them; ie open the jars to release the gas; every once in a while then you might encounter some mold problems. thc also degrades with heat and light, so keeping the jars in the freezer is a good idea.

as long as you check in on them it should be fine, although i've never kept bud that long

3. Right now they're in the cabinet with no light and its room temp. As far as burping them goes, I only open the jar when I add another 2grams into it. Would I be better off first mixing the 2gram sampler in a regular medicine bottle then putting it in the jar & never opening until use?

4. it seems like what you are doing now is fine, depending on how often you are adding two grams. while your bud is curing, its releasing carbon dioxide and hydrogen. burping removes these gases. as long as you are opening the jar somewhat regularly and not letting the buds sit and mold you should be fine

5. If I open the jar, it's not open for more then 2 minutes before its closed back up & thrown in the cabinet. I've added 7 strains to the jar in the past week. I may be opening it as far as 14-25 times a month. I use to purchase bulk single strains, now I pick up a little bit of everything. I mean, I already have the jar filled about 25%.

I'd be safe just keeping them in the Jar at that rate or should I leave them in medical tubes until I have enough salad to fill a jar, fill it, cap it, & touch it when I have a house?

6. how moist/dry are the buds?

7. A few months is fine. But 4 years is pushing it. It's not like it frozen in time in a jar. It's just not in the elements.

8. there has to be moisture for any mold to grow - so it's extremely unlikely that that will be a problem.

They're fine in the jar - as stated, just keep them out of light and preferably a little cooler temps, although room temp is fine... just away from heat.

If any of the bud is fresh, you may want to burp it more often. Freshly dried stuff should be burped every day, but after a week or two... once a week or so is fine, even less once the stuff has been curing for awhile.

9. The last two buds I got were rather dry, the first two were moist but not too moist. If that makes sense..

I'm not asking to master the art of time traveling or freezing though lol, but will it DRASTICALLY EFFECT THC%'s, taste, etc, ya know?

Thanks man! All things I needed to know! But what does failure to properfly burp.. say if I go on vacation for like a month.

10. If none of it's fresh you'll be okay. If there's fresh stuff, I would separate it and have it in a container like a pill bottle where it can dry a bit so mold isn't an issue - it may get a tad too dry, but that's better than mold. Freezer is also an option.

11. I think what I'm going to do is throw my 2grams of each strain into the pill bottles together, the big ones a half o would normally come in. Once I get 4th, the 1st & 2nd should be dried enough from being in the plastic container.. Ill add them to the jar, burping it 2 weeks later after the 3rd & 4th bottles are a bit more dried out.. then once the jar is full, I'll throw the jar into a freezer/mini fridge, depending what has the most room.

Sound like a solid plan yet? lol:smoke:

12. The moisture from the first buds will spread to the dry buds you have fyi. If they are at a good moisture level then you can go ~1 week without even burping it

13. Thanks KB, & to everyone else who posted here! Thanks for all the tips and pointers.