too long for veg. period?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by growman944, Jan 25, 2007.

1. I was just wondering if it's possible to stay in vegetation for too long? My plants are only about a 1-1.5 feet tall and they've been in veg for about 2 months. Should I just start flowering, or wait a week or so to let them grow taller then begin flowering?

2. I don't think you can ever really veg. too long. I mean take the case of mother plants used for clones. Those stay on 24 or 18/6 light cycles their entire lives. I have a mother plant that has been vegging for almost a year now, I just trim it down and it always grows back.

As for your current plants. I would say they are ready to flower. Don't forget different strains grow differently. Some strains really don't get very tall A.K.A. Stretched, no matter what kind of light they are under. Really the most important thing to remember when vegging is that you are trying to create more budding sites. This is why we train our girls through topping, fimming, and LST. All are designed to maximize bud site development. So if you are happy with the current growth then go ahead and 12/12 it.

3. You can leave plants in veg. for as long as you would like. Mothers are kept in veg. for years at a time. The only issue with letting your plant veg for to long will be space. They will continue to grow as long as they are under 24/0 or 18/6, and will almost double in size when you switch over to 12/12, so keep that in mind as well.......

4. People veg for a lot longer than that. Depends on how tall you want them to get. Mine have been vegging for over 70 days and the tallest one is only 9.5 inches. I've got limited height however so I started switching them over to flower today. Once you switch to flower they are going to double or triple in size depending on the strain.