Too late to mainline?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by HuckNelson, May 9, 2018.

1. I was hoping to mainline this gal, but life got the better of me and I lost track of time for the past two months. I live in central Texas, so she’s gotten quite large in that time.

I’ve done it before (on a younger plant) and it was a success, however it turned out to be a male plant.

This one is a female for sure, but I’m now worried that she’s gotten quite large and mainlining her at this point might stress her out.

However, I do have some time before the days shorten and she does flower. I’d like to train her since I don’t want an 8ft tree by August (my carelessness for planting as soon as I did). Is there anyone who mainline their plant beyond eight nodes? Any advice on which training method I should take with this gal?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Mainlining wouldnt be impossible. I would just strangle the shit out of her in 3 or 4 places and bend her over then around and let her heal that way. Would heal from it way faster and you'd achieve similar results. You got a nice main stalk goin so shouldnt be much issue.

What i mean by strangle is squeezing her main branch until it becomes very flexible.

3. I wish I had the know-how to pull that off. I’m a newbie for sure, not at growing plants (I’m an avid vegetable gardener), but certainly with growing bud.

Any specific instructions you could give? Or a link that would have some instructions in regards to the training technique you’re suggesting?

4. You could still mainline now, but to do it correctly you would have to top your plant all the way down to the 3rd node. All that growth you have above it is totally lost, that is several weeks judging by your photo. That is why its recommended to start mainlining when you have 4-5 nodes at most, as any growth beyond that is completely lost (plus the time it took). Given that I agree with Rezerg, choose some other method to get the vertical growth under control.

5. Definitely going to start bending her tomorrow. However, these little white (now some red) hairs started to appear on her grow sites that are peaking my curiosity. She gets 12 hours of sunlight (probably six of it is super strong, really good sun), and about 4 extra hours of twilight/sunset light, so I was sort of expecting her to still be veging. Would you say it’s still safe to train? I’ve posted some updated photos for reference.

Attached Files:

6. Yes I think you can still do some training, but obviously the results will not be as good as they would if you had started sooner (the older a plant is, the more set it is in its growth pattern). Just be careful because your stems are thicker & stronger now that the plant is older and has never been bent, you might have to do some supercropping (lightly crushing the stems) to make it work well. Next time if you want to mainline be sure to start by the time the plant has developed its 5th node or so.

7. You know, that being said, I’m a fan of not fixing something that isn’t broken. I think I’ll just take a few clones from her (if I’m successful) and train those gals as soon as they can take it. She’s a healthy plant, I’d rayher not harm her.

8. So I’m flip flopping a bunch, and I’m thinking that I’m going to top the plant if she’s still in veg. Posting a few more pics just to make sure that I haven’t crossed into sure signs of flowering before I take the shears to her.

Attached Files:

9. That plant absolutely looks like its still in veg to me........

10. Awesome! Thanks. It’s my first go at this, and she’s the first female plant I’ve ever grown. So I’m not familiar with the intricacies of her growth sites as she switches over to flower.

11. My 2 cents would be to not top it, remove the pink trellis, and then tie that piece of clothes line about 3 nodes down from the top and use that to bend it over as far as you can without tipping it over. Then tie the line so she stays put. In 4 - 5 days you may need to tie the line down again a little further out, but all the branches will start growing up giving basically the same effect that you were looking for in mainlining her. Plus you will get more flower sights off from the branches as they grow larger upwards.

12. You’re a lifesaver.

I’ll do this tomorrow and take photos to update. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  13. #14 CFTheNatural, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    I am going to respectfully disagree with you here, what you are describing is LST (Low Stress Training) and will not give the same effect as Mainlining. If you read any tutorial or detailed description of Mainlining, the point is not to train the plant to grow more sideways and tame its height. The idea is to create a "hub" or "manifold" off of a single node, creating a center for equal energy distribution from the roots all the way to each cola on the plant. That is, the remaining colas after topping & pruning (usually 8 but as many as 16 sometimes) all get equal amounts of nutrients from the roots because they are all the same size and equal distance from the roots. Tying down the top of the plant will not achieve that specific goal in any way, it is a form of growth training but honestly its not going to give anywhere near the same effect as true & correct Mainlining. See this detailed tutorial from Nugbuckets:

Main-Lining Tutorial on Training Marijuana Plants | Grow Weed Easy

14. I'm sorry, but, i know exactly what mainlining is. The Procedure that i described is a LST version of training, where as a mainline is a HST version. Both ultimately end up doing the same, they give you a certain amount of branching to produce multiple colas along the main branching. This can result in a 2 Branch split, a 4 way split, or more. It is far too late in this plants growth to achieve the result of a split stalk manifold.

15. Anyone here besides me actually mainlining?
    Mainlining is something you should definitely have a full plan for the whole grow. It is HST but you actually do less defol and trimming than you do for an LST all your stress from a manifold comes early on in your grow. It's actually zero stress for flowering. It will add time to your veg cycle for recovery but I'm loving my results so far.
    Here is my ladies so far currently sitting at over 40 colas for 3 plants. Two at 16 and one at 8.
    If you have any questions, ask away.
    Your first top should be done when your plant has 5-6 nodes, but topped at the third.
    Beyond 6 nodes is pretty much a waste of growth if planning on manifolding.
    You can manifold later in the plants life, but you will have to plan on a longer veg cycle to make sure you recover and can build the manifold.

• Like Like x 1
  16. We have all said from the beginning of this thread that its far too late in this plants life to start mainlining, that was already established. While it is true that LST gives you a certain amount of branching to produce multiple colas along the main branching, I totally disagree that "both ultimately end up doing the same" as you stated. No LST method (the one you describe or any other) gives you completely equal and matching mainlines coming off of a single node that ends up delivering equal amounts of nutrients to all colas. A mainlined plant is like an octagon (8 exactly equal sides) whereas when you tie down the top of a plant you do not get that. You will get a multi-way split along the main branches as you said, but that does not achieve the equal nutrient distribution that mainlining does.

17. yes. its been a while. that's the last mainline i did.

18. I want to say, for the record, this has been a really educational thread for me and I appreciate everyone’s responses.

That being said, I went ahead and chose to bend the plant- and barely at that. I trimmed away all dead leaves and am going with a really basic little grow. I have the space to leave her be and good sun- plus I’m not confident enough to mainline her at the moment. I did take two cuttings from her and will be more prepared to properly attempt a HST method with them once they root and start growing.

So far here is an update on her. Was curious what these little sack growths are? They are at every growth site. They sort of look like seed sacks, but that’s weird?

Attached Files: