Tomato Growing

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by rob121214, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Hello I just want to know what's a safe soil to use for tomatoes. I mean I'm going to be eating them...so I don't want to use miracle grow or anything. Is kellog's soil good? also should I use a pot or plant in ground?

I know nothing of tomatoes, and this is irrelevant but is tomato growing and cannabis growing basically the same game different name?

Thanks guys:)

2. OK for starters how much do.you want to grow?

Container gardening can get expensive

If you have ground use it.

As long as your soil if firtile it will be good.

If its dead get some organic compost and fortify

Water at the same time every day

Don't forget to bury Tue stems

I live in Las Vegas. Our dirt sucks. I still managed to grow a good.crop.

Better soil is of coarse better though

3. Oh if.you wanted specifics then tomatoes need acidic soil like most veggies.

You could buy some organic veggie garden mix or veggie potting soil and mix it with your dirt

Add some.organic.mulch exert.couple.of.months and some earth worms

4. Check out this thread to give you an idea of what to look for in soil mix.

Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners - Grasscity.com Forums

Sorry I don't have a brand recommendation, other than maybe Coast of Maine. Never tried their potting mix but the compost is top notch.

Check the link in my sig if you're looking for cheap shipping.

5. Where do you live, OP? I couldn't grow tomatoes in FL soil (which is sand lol) and had to use containers and raised beds. Soil composition can change drastically from area to area.

6. in the south
    thanks fellars

7. What? I still live in the south... and I moved North of FL

OK you don't want to say where you live.... what type of soil then? PH? Consistency? Drainage? Anything?!

8. Georgia. I'm the guy asking the questions though of what soil to get lol why are you asking me. Yea I know what you mean about composition changing drastically there's all types of soil i find on the ground, the red kind, the black kind, and the sand kind.

9. Yes, you're the one asking the questions. :rolleyes:

In order to answer your question, this is the first variable that I come across, as it would be easiest to grow in the Georgia clay/mulch topsoil that is abundant across the piedmont and coastal plains, but not so much in the mountains and northern areas.

Your questions require answers first.

10. Since I lie in Florida and have to deal with shitty soil I just build raised beds and add ffof or some soil called jungle growth for vegetables.