Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tolerance Breaks Don't Help Me..Could CB1 Receptors Be Damaged?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Shadowfax420, Sep 14, 2018.

1. I've been a heavy user for about 5 years now. About 2 years ago, my highs began to drastically reduce to the point where I'd have to use obscene amounts to even get a buzz. I started taking tolerance breaks..but each time I returned, I only got a day or two of awesome blazing before my tolerance shot way back down to where it was before. I even took a 6-month break once only to receive the exact same result.
    Is it possible for CB1 receptors to be damaged? Or does anybody have any ideas as to why I can't get high anymore?

2. Nah, that's just the way it goes. If you blaze a lot, its pretty much never going to consistently be how it used to be.

3. I understand that. But I have countless stoner friends and none of them have this problem. Yeah, their tolerances all go up, but when THEY come back from a break, it actually takes some time to build up a tolerance again. With me, it's 2 days tops before I'm back in the land of the clear-headed and not feeling anything.

4. Yes, it is quite possible that your endocannabinoid system is damaged if you are eating an average American-style diet. Our modern diet is deficient in Omega 3 which is needed to properly make your CB1 receptors (the ones that get you "high"). Most of our cooking oils are Omega 6 oils (corn, soy, sunflower and mixed vegetable oils) that have little or no Omega 3.

The earliest study I have found on this problem is -
    Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. - PubMed - NCBI

Here’s the key sentence- “In n-3-deficient mice, presynaptic cannabinoid CB(1) receptors (CB(1)Rs) normally responding to endocannabinoids were uncoupled from their effector G(i/o) proteins.” (n-3 = Omega 3)

The G(i/o) protein is what sends the cannabinoid's message ("I'm high", or "stop the pain", or whatever) into your cells. When the G(i/o) protein is not connected ( left "uncoupled") to the receptor, you end up with something like a radio with a loose wire- everything is there, but no "music"!

So how do you get more Omega 3 into your diet? Eating more wild-caught fish is a good start. Vegans should up their intake of flax and hemp seed. Supplements are also helpful and inexpensive (fish oil, and flax seed oil). But you really need to change your cooking oils! Those Omega 6 oils cause inflammation, while Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory. Now, we DO need some Omega 6- you want a cut to swell closed to slow the bleeding, as an example.

Scientists have found that somewhere between 3 and 4 parts Omega 6 to every 1 part Omega 3 is what is needed for optimal human health. However, some folks get up to 50 parts Omega 6 to every one of Omega 3. This can throw our bodies out of balance (besides interfering with the endocannabinoid system and getting high).

“The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids” The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. - PubMed - NCBI

“Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects.”

This affects not only how your body works, but also your brain!

Lifelong imbalanced linoleic/alpha-linolenic acid intake impairs emotional and cognitive behavior in adult rats via changes in brain endocannabinoid system. (abst – 2016) Lifelong imbalanced LA/ALA intake impairs emotional and cognitive behavior via changes in brain endocannabinoid system. - PubMed - NCBI

“These findings highlight the importance of a diet balanced in fatty acid contents for normal brain functions and support a link between dietary ALA, brain endocannabinoid system and behavior, indicating that dietary ALA intake is a sufficient condition for altering the endocannabinoid system in brain regions modulating mood and cognition.”

(Could our Omega 3 deficient diet be, in part, responsible for all the craziness we see every day? :confused_2: )

So what happens when you start taking Omega 3 regularly? Those defective CB1 receptors start getting replaced with ones that work!:yay: Now, it takes a month or more of using Omega 3 to begin to improve your high. It simply takes time to replace the dud receptors and make new ones, so don't expect to notice any overnight results.

So clean up your diet, eat healthy, and take your Omega 3! :GettingStoned:

Granny :wave:

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Wow, thank you so much for that informative response. I've always suspected that something was amiss with my body (in regard to my tolerance problem), and I was looking for something like this to support that suspicion. Oddly enough, it hadn't ever occurred to me that it might be related to my diet. I do, in fact, have a terrible diet.
    Gonna get to work on cleaning my act up ASAP.

P.S. How sad is it that the thing that is finally pushing me to take better care of my body is the fact that I WANNA GET HIGH? :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  6. I've been smoking for roughly thirty years or so with a few breaks in my 20's. My tolerance is the exact same in that no matter how long I take a t break, a week or a year, my tolerance is back to what I consider average within about one to two days. I still get baked though as long as the weed is good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Then according to this he can just eat edibles cause I think weed's got Omega 3

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

8. ^^^^What jay said^^^^

40+ year daily smoker...all damn day most days. That's why I grow the plant.

I've taken breaks....the longest being one YEAR. I came back...got that "high school high" where I thought mom might check my eyes and smell my coat the first time I smoked....and LOL...remembered instantly why it was so fuckin' freaky the first few times...and was glad to return to blazin' and copping a mild buzz all my waking hours instead of getting so high i could hardly function for hours. I personally like the plateau...no stupidity...no detection...just high and nobody knows it. That's why I grow the plant.

9. To kind of piggy back on this topic, you can eat mangos to clean your cb1 and cb2 receptors. You can also research the cannabis Budwig protocol which emulsifies cannabis oil with flaxseed oil (high omega 3), lecithin, and a cultured low fat cottage cheese. This converts the carrier oil, in this case the flaxseed, into a water soluble form, readily absorbed by the body, and the cannabis oil is bonded via the lecithin. I use this method to deliver cannabis oil to my body in order to fight cancer and the high comes a bit quicker and is more potent. It’s gross though. I add fruit and nuts to it but damn.

10. No, Znot, he can't just eat edibles. Cannabis SEEDS have Omega 3. (And they have the proper ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 plus a very high quality protein) Seedless buds do not contain much more than a trace of Omega 3.

I keep thinking that some smart kid is going to make a bunch of money making a hemp seed based cannabis bar with a 50/50 ratio of THC to CBD (using natural cannabis as the source). Maybe using a 70%+ dark chocolate as a binder?

FYI- Chocolate contains small amounts of compounds that slow the destruction of your body's own endocannabinoid, Anandamide. And that makes you very slightly high in Anandamide! There are no studies (yet) on whether these compounds can slow the breakdown of THC and/or CBD and possibly prolong their effects. :GettingStoned:

Chocolate: The Good, the Bad and the Angry (news - 2010)
    Chocolate: The Good, the Bad and the Angry

Granny :wave:

11. Maybe you're just smoking shit gear lol I get high everytime I smoke :confused_2: