Toking in the 70s/80s?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Jesuslovesherb94, Sep 20, 2016.

1. i would love to hear stories about those days and how toking was then compared to now, also what smoking methods were popular? I figure joints and smoke stones were about as hi tech as it gets for most people. Also what kinds of papers were more preferred? And did you use rolling trays? i have a few 70s items if anyone's wanting pics but if you guys have pics of 70s 80s toke tools is love to see em! Hope you all have a great day!

• Like Like x 1
  2. No personal pic's, just fond memories. But BING can find just about anything
    Wow, I'd forgotten all about smoke stones. I used to carry one everywhere for (a) alternative to a roach clip and (b) in case anyone had a cold they could still hit the joint as it passed without passing germs to the next in line. Wish I'd kept one of those.:passing-joint:

Best papers - Prince Albert & OCB drew little attention because a lot of old farts used them for tobacco.
    upload_2016-9-20_19-48-48.png upload_2016-9-20_19-51-42.png
    TOPS and Zig-Zag were most popular with stoners.
    upload_2016-9-20_19-49-33.png upload_2016-9-20_19-50-1.png
    Rizla and Job had their own cult followers; JOB won for best deco art posters.
    upload_2016-9-20_19-51-3.png upload_2016-9-20_19-53-15.png

But my personal favorites were Bambu.
    upload_2016-9-20_20-1-44.png upload_2016-9-20_20-2-3.png
    I still have the little stamped metal protective case, embossed with the Bambu logo. A relative also has the same holder he inherited from a uncle who used it in WW-II & brought it back from Europe after the war was over. You can still get Bambu papers on eBay if you look. They got their start printing bibles, and are to this day one of the oldest smoking paper manufacturers around.

I still have my rolling tray from (I think) 1972, maybe 1973. CocaCola came out with reproductions of their original service trays, and they worked fantastic for rolling the seeds out of your weed before rolling. Still works, but it's reserved for display only now. Plus my weed never has seeds anymore.
    [​IMG]
    Everyone knew how to steal a rubber stopper from Chemistry Lab, along with a few pieces of straight glass tube and rubber tubing. These made home-made hookah / bongs of infinite varieties, including multiple toke tubes for simultaneous hits. Mateus wine bottles were the favored glass. And don't even ask about the time I thought it would be a good idea to drink the wine out of the bottle after it had been used to filter a few joints. That was 1970 and I STILL can't get that taste out of my mouth
    :smoking-hookah:

And the first time I saw a pair of hemostats being used for a roach clip, I asked the guy where he got it & he said "I'm a nurse, so I just unclip one in the Emergency Room whenever I need one". I hope he was kidding.
    :watching:
    So it's early summer 1973, I'm in the mountains above Dahlonega GA, camping and fishing for trout with a few buddies. Our favorite spot was only a couple of miles from the U.S. Army Rangers mountain training facility. An Army Jeep pulls up with a couple of Ranger trainees, and they stop to talk. I have a pair of hemo's clipped to my fishing vest, and one grunt asks, "What do you use those hemo's for?" So I'm playing it cool, thinking he's a skinhead-hates-hippies type. So I reply, "They make great hook disgorgers if a trout takes my lure too deep. And they work pretty good for taking cans of water off the campfire for coffee."
    The dude smiled & said, "I use mine for roach clips."
    We both cracked a nut laughing. So I rolled another one & we had a good smoke. Colombian Redbud if I recall,the kind that made your eyes bleed on your shirt.

Emergency pipe - a beer can smashed down on one side, multiple holes poked into it for a screen, and one big hole in the end for a hit regulator. I thought I was a forkin' genius for figuring this one out... that is until many years later. It's the day of my son's Junior-Senior prom, and I come home from work early to make sure he has it all together. He's out on the back deck with a cola can pipe pressed to his lips, taking a big hit. He dropped the can when he heard me opening the patio door. I started busting him, raising hell about the dangers of the heathen devil weed... He's got this look of panic on his face, and I couldn't help but bust out laughing. Go down and pick up that can pipe. I gotta see if you knew what you were doing". We still get a kick out of that, it opened a new round of respect for both of us.

Emergency papers - the wrapper off your girl's tampon. No glue but worked well. Or if you're a blasphemous heathen and in a hotel with a King James Bible beside every bed - a page from the old Good Book. See above, how Bambu got their start.
    Emergency hash pipe - the tube off your girl's tampon and a piece of foil to form a bowl hole.
    Red Wings - what you got after you smoked a doobie using her tampon paper, followed by a tampon tube bowl full of hash, followed by her grabbing you by the ears and giggling, "I'll tell you when to stop".
    Emergency roach clip - a hairpin re-bent to hold your roach.

One of the more creative smoke methods I ever saw, worked great for sensi buds or hash. Take the glass globe off an old style hurricane lantern. A plastic butter container lid (small size) fit pergectly around the bottom of the glass globe, snapping on to stay in place. Poke a straight pin through the bottom of the lid, point up. Pin the bud or hash, light it, snap the globe onto the lid, hand over the top of the globe until it filled with smoke. Pick it up, crack the seal of the lid & shotgun the smoke. Wooooo, Buddy. First time I saw this was also the first time I smoked sensimilla. On a dirt road below Macon GA, middle of the night, on the way to a concert. Good shit.

Wow... talk about a trip down Memory Lane. Who's next ?????

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Wow man sounds like you had a hell of s good time growing up, I was glad to hear your stories man, kinda makes me wish I was a teen back then lol, I have a few sweet pieces you may remember seeing around that time IMG_2307.JPG IMG_2308.JPG first is my 1975 Jim rumph mind circus bong I inherited, I call her Janis cuz she kinda looks like Janis Joplin a little lol. IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2442.JPG IMG_2443.JPG This is my niki smoke stone from the late 70s or early 80s(not too sure but looks more 70s) and it's really neat because it is a small one hitter pipe with a carb hole which can also be a place to stick joints and make it a smoke stone/pipe! IMG_2445.JPG This is just a basic hand pipe from late 70s early 80s, hits VERY hard and gives the herb a nice natural taste imo also has a fairly big bowl good for parties :) IMG_2444.JPG This is just a pretty basic roach clip from the 70s with anuk charm. I also have a oat willies fazor power hitter from 1978 and had a "stoned" cat smoking a joint niki toke stone. Don't have the stone anymore for it broke in a sitting down with it in my back pocket accident but I'll try to dig around a find the power hitter to get a pic if you would like

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cool. But I can't believe no one else has chimed in. Everyone else too high or what?????

5. OK Fast story
    When I was a kid say 17 my mother had a large plastic car cover with a elastic band around it to hole it on car.
    So My stoner friends decide Lets use it to hot box...................
    We would all get in under it and sit around in a giant circle but sitting inside on the area where the band was
    (almost became air tight) The thing was deadly, we walked away so High LOL.
    But as I grew older I realized what a stupid idea it was, I am truly surprised that we never passed out under it.
    [​IMG]

6. As a grower even back in the 70s and 80s I always had a full pack of 20 machine rolled joints on me at all times.. Everybody was Happy after I showed up.. :)
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  7. I'm s smoker from the mid-eighties, but a roommate once gave me an old beer bottle bong that dated from the seventies. It came with a hole carb, so I plugged that and updated it with a lift-up style carb system. Even found a blown glass bowl that was the same color. The dude in the head shop told me the downpipe was the largest size they had...and the bong does indeed hit like Martha Stewart in the chow line.

Around the base, it says 'No deposit, no refill. Please don't litter.' :D That's authentic.

8. image.jpeg image.jpeg Sorry, forgot to attach images because I'm stoned. ;)

• Like Like x 6
  9. That is one ace bong bro!

10. Thanks.

Smoking it is like trying to date Manny Pacquiao's sister. ;)

11. My dad found some of his weed from the 80s while he was cleaning out the garage. Pretty crazy to see how the quality has changed from this to what we have today! [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Thanks for making this thread!

13. This thread is awesome. Were you guys into hash? Also, what was the situation like with your parents and weed? From what I've heard from my parents it sounds like that generation was really free spirited and people did what they wanted with little parental intervention.

14. Thanks for asking! MJ was noticed as a schedule 1 narcotic under the Nixon administration in 1971. I began smoking 4 months after my 13th birthday in 1972. You could imagine the sheer paranoia i went through smoking pot as a kid. We had porcelein bongs, steel pipes and zig zag papers. We would buy an ounce of seeded mexi-brick for $10. We would clean the stems and seeds out, THROW THE SEEDS AWAY cause there was too many of them. Then usually roll a joint. It was shwag but it got us high. We listened to Pink Floyd and Cheech and Chong. The head shops back then, usually had a poster room in the back where you can walk through a curtain of beads into a room with posters all lit up with black lights. We made home made bongs in wood shop like in the movie Dazed and Confused. We usually smoked outside and did something like hiking or the beach or frisbee golf. Chillen in a bean bag chair with the syrofoam headphones. Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon was an adventure to listen to. Then we had movies like Rocky and jaws to trip out on. And music festivals to attend like Cal Jam 1 & 2 and the US festival. Thats all I can think of for now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. that
    thats not bud. Its dried crunchy fan leaves.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'd have to say it was my father who firmly turned me to cannabis rather then alcohol when I staggered in that first night at 15-16 yrs old blazed on both with his remark of I'd rather see you high then drunk having done the bottom of the barrel on both.
    I always took that to heart and alcohol was never very far up my list of things to do in general being a 2 beer drunk at best and not liking the feel of it after the first beer.
    Dad was born in 1903 and didn't see his first motorcar in small town Iowa till he was 7 or 8 as I recall his stories. He lived to see us walk on the moon and that's a really wild span in one life from horses to moon rockets.
    Joint and pipes were the tools of the day and my early toking years things hadn't changed any.
    Skip forward to the early 70s and my Army service and that brought in some fine weed in the Pacific Northwest and then hash when my duty station changed and I went to Germany for 2 years.
    OHHHHH GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The FUCKING HASH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All the colors possible passed through my hands in that 2 year span in what was then West Germany. The Bubble Gum Black that bubbled and boiled in the pipe. The Choking Red that blew the back of your head off with each hit and had you gagging your guts out. The Tripping Green (Opium Laced and Standard version) My personal choice. Blond Lebanese with it's cinnamon smell. Sheesh I can't remember them all. All smoked in basic tobacco pipes often blended in pipe tobacco so we could toke away in front of the brass without them catching on.
    Back Stateside in California I started a cycle of growing in 1976 that never really stopped and continues to this day.
    [​IMG]
    I make my own blond hash now and turn it into coconut oil caps by the thousands for my little medical issue.
    [​IMG]
    BNW

17. I started in the early eighties. Brass pipe was our go to way to smoke, zig zag papers (I was a cut corners man myself) and glass or ceramic bongs as well. Being born and raised in SoCal there was lots of stressed out schwaggy brick weed around. It was cheap and did the trick. We also had all sorts of ganja from all over the place but it could be far more expensive when compared to the price of that brick.

Lots of frisbee and bike rides at the beach. Black lights and acid rock at every indoor session. Lots of parties and lots of ladies. It could be a bit worry some when you were carrying because the laws and cops in general fucking sucked.

18. Salutations,

Before (left) and after (right):

[​IMG]

Good day, have fun!! :D