Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Toking in silence?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by monkoy11, Feb 12, 2011.

1. I just got some new unknown weed and for some reason it makes me cough like a mother fckr. I usually don't cough, but this weed is really fckn potent i guess. I have a small one-hitter I could use, but its midnight and I dont wanna wake up my mom and sister. How can I cover up my cough so it's no so loud? Or is there any method to reduce to coughing?

2. small hits. nice n slow bro

3. if you have a bong, fill it with the hottest water you can get out the sink. the smoke is actually much smoother.

otherwise, cough into a pillow or folded up blanket. it'll really muffle it.

maybe throat spray to numb your throat? never thought of that before, gonna try it next time i burn

4. so i should use hot water instead of water with ice?

5. yeah try that, i just tried that today for the first time actually and it rocked. and it was only warm water, not hot.

6. I've never heard of this method before.
    But small hits, tall glass of water, & a pillow to muffle those coughs that do sneak through, you should be straight.

Or just put on a coat & step outside. :confused_2:

7. yeah man. the colder the water, the harsher the smoke will be actually.

the hotter the water, the more vapor making it much smoother.
    it feels kinda weird at first, but its a nice switch up and no coughing.

8. Warm water works very well to smooth the hits.
    Cough into a pillow?
    Or step outside.

9. honestly. jst take lighter hits. the weed isn't going anywhere. nice & slow. you'll get high.

as of lately//the summer, i have a bad chest/lung infection. Acute bronchitus. I can't really smoke out of bowls/bongs as much. not like i used to; now i just try to take the lightest hits i can, kinda helps with the coughing. but what's strange is that when i smoke a blunt or a joint, i could hit it like i have iron lungs & not even cough as much as i would if i were to take a normal nice hit off a bong/bowl.

10. Wow, this has now been confirmed by 3 people.
    why is it before I heard Ice cold water & ice catchers were best, but now I hear the opposite?

11. honestly i feel like the warm water thing only became like widesread recently, because i never saw it mentioned anywhere until recently.

12. Who knows. I would never opt for warm water. Cold water helps to cool smoke which yields less irritation of the throat and lungs from hot smoke. I see no point in warm water. I've had room temperature water, and it does a lot less for coughing than cold water with ice.

Exactly. I've never understood the whole obsession with huge hits and the "Yo, bro...I can totally take the most monstrous hit in the world." It doesn't appeal to me, I don't enjoy coughing. Take small, comfortable hits, don't feel pressured to take some huge hits.

That's not necessarily true. Not at harsh weed is potent, and not all potent weed is harsh. I've smoked many-a-buds that are not only potent as hell, but smooth as hell.

13. lol its all about perception.

ice/coldness feels/seems good cause its like ahhh nice coldness but its dry smoke, very irritating.
    hot water, you are getting alot of water vapor with the smoke, so it's actually very soothing on your lungs and throat.

ice water will feel better in a sense but hot water is much smoother.

14. cold air also restricts your airways making it harder to breathe.

15. Sorry if that annoyed you...3 is better than one anyway.
    It's really a preference, try both and you decide.

For whatever reason, really warm water makes the hit smooth, probably because it adds vapor to the smoke, which the ice does too. Ice seems to just make the smoke cold, sometimes too cold. Almost feels like breathing in deep in freezing weather.

16. Oh, it didn't annoy me at all, I was just surprised that 3 people confirmed something that was completely opposite to what I had believed my entire smoking career.
    Sorry if I came off as rude. :smoke:

17. yea man, slow hits. and if you do couch, couch into a rag or a pillow.

18. Nah, it takes more than that to seem rude,
    your all good! And like i said its really preference,
    cold and head both do wonders.

19. I've had so much work at suppressing coughs. I can do it like none other. :cool: