Today was pretty fucked up, and I'm pretty sure our cars were searched illegally

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by fvaambush, Jan 11, 2008.

1. First off this is sort of a rant, I'm going to try and make it short and to the point though. But I was also wondering if this is illegal?

So I guess I should say this about my school first. It's incredibly small, something like 150 kids, but I'd have to say 125 of them are stoners. And our director knows it, a lot of kids get searched randomly with suspicion of possession (especially the dealers), but pretty much everyone is smart enough to know not to bring weed into school at this point.

I was just chillin in class today, when the fire alarm goes off. So we all get up and I grab my bag to leave but I'm yelled at by my teacher to leave it in the classroom, I didn't really suspect anything. Then I hear people talking about it's a bust, thats why we were told to leave our bags, etc. We get out and I see one cop only. So I'm like ok maybe it is just a fire. As were all standing outside, 5 more squad cars packed with at least 8 cops and 2 drug dogs roll around the corner and up to the school. Immediately benches in front of the school are searched before they proceed into the school.

At this point everyone is a little freaked out, a couple people were ditching bags and pills they were holding. This one girl I know (I'll call her S) was a little freaked out because her car almost always has weed and pills in it. I told her it was ok because her car was off school property, it was actually parked in a parking lot across the street reserved to some small manufacturing company.

30 minutes later we get an ok to go back inside the building, the cops and K-9 units were in the schools parking lot searching cars. 10 minutes later in the hallway word was getting around that S's car was being sniffed out by dogs... yes, illegally. She is in the hallway about to cry talking to someone on the phone about it. Another 5 minutes later our director and a cop come downstairs and ask S to go upstairs with them.

She gets busted with possession (only 2 grams). But everyone is fucking pissed, her car was off school property, and was searched illegally by dogs. But thats not where they stopped. The cops went down the street to a shopping center were a lot of students were known to park. All suspected students cars were searched :mad:.

We brought this up with a teacher and asked if it was legal or not. He told us that the shopping center was private property, and that the cops have to call the owner of the property and ask for permission to search cars. I'm not that great with laws, but does anyone know if thats true or not? We were all pretty damn sure the cops didn't ask the owner of the property if they could search the cars in the lot. Luckily (and to our surprise) no one else was caught with anything. Apparently S isn't going to sue for searching her car illegally, but her lawyer is going to fight the fine by saying someone else left it in her car. As S often buses a lot of the kids at the school to basketball games/practices, and that she had no idea the weed was there.

Also;

2 other friends and I had just finished smoking and decided to chill at the shopping center near our school. We usually sit in the chairs in front of this pizza parlor, but the guy has something up his ass and as of 2 days ago began calling the cops on us whenever we were there. We looked inside and saw him on the phone so we got up and went around the corner when my friend tells me I should stash my shit in his car incase they do come up. So I walk over to his car, and being my stoned dumbass self I just put my bowl and altoids tin on the floor behind the passenger seat with just an umbrella on top of it, partially revealing the piece and tin beneath.

5 minutes later, were sitting in a fast food restraunt talking to our friends who work there when a cop rolls up next to the car and begins walking around it. So I start sketching out a bit thinking someone saw me ditch it in the car. They eventually walk up to the fast food place we were at, and ask for the owner of the car. So my friend stands up and walks outside to them where he is questioned for about 5 minutes, and then is walked to the car to gather his registration and licensing crudentials. Now at this point, remember I have no idea what any of this was for, so me and another friend were sketching out like crazy. Like the kind of freak out where your heart pumps out of your chest :(. We were telling everyone at the fast food place what was going on when they began to walk around the car and write down information, peeking in occasionally. Everyone was kind of sitting in the place observing, hoping they wouldn't search it. All they would have to do is look under the umbrella a bit and we were busted, and I wasn't ready to go to jail today ;)

30 minutes later he was let go, my friend comes back and it was so relieving to see the cops getting back in the squad car and leaving. It turns out my friend has been wanted for 3 weeks or so for "stealing a bike". Then they tried to say his car was stolen because it was under someone elses name. When really we had just picked it up for 700 from some small dealership and just never got it registered under his name.

Yeah that was a bit longer than I wanted it to be, but today has been pretty fucked up, thats not all but I'm not going to start listing everything.

Finally, does anyone know if searching the cars on the shopping centers property was illegal?

2. What bullshit.

3. Well it is legal for the dogs to walk around the car and sniff the outside. But if they actually searched the car then it's illegal unless the dogs smelled weed from the outside.

4. I'm not sure if the parking lot of where S's car was parked is private or public... but I'm pretty sure it was illegal for the dogs to search a car off the property of the school without probable cause

5. sounds like you live in a fucked-up town,,,,, nice to know your in high school,,,, i thought you was a lot older,,;)

a side note,,,, dont carry more than you plan on using,,,,:cool:

6. I think there is some law now that they can search any car that a dog gets a hit on.

7. a dog '' hits on''............... that is so fucked up,,,,,

they have these dogs trained to '' hit'' on command,,,,,,

i say this from my military experience,,,, they brought the dogs in our room,,,,, and it ''hit'' on my dresser......

i was scratching my head,, because i knew what was in there,,,,, they told me to open the drawer,,,, which i did,,,,

it was where i kept my little debbie snack cakes,,,,,,,, the fucking dog smelled food,,,,

fuck them dogs,,, and the cops holding thier lease,,,,, them cops can suck the snotty end of my dick,,,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

8. Hahaha thats awesome :p. And yeah I'm a senior in HS, how old did you think I was? :D

I live in a pretty fucked up town PD wise. Our town is growing really fast, but it's still pretty small. Almost everyone knows eachother, it's pretty cool but our cops have nothing better to do in my town.

A few instances of what I mean:

2 friends and I last year were smoking a cig up at a park near me. 3 fucking cops, 2 squad cars, pull into the parking lot because two teenagers were smoking a cigarette (I don't smoke).

3 squad cars showed up when some kid set off a smoke bomb in the parking lot near the school

3 squad cars showed up when a kid was caught with a gram of weed at my school

6 showed up to a fight between two girls in a parking lot

The list goes on... our police force sucks :p

9. i dont know fvaambush,,, lets say by your sig, i figured youd done a stnt in the military,,,,,

your just a young dude that has his head in the right spot,,,,

nothing wrong with that,,,,:cool:

10. Yeah I'll take it as a compliment :D

And thats not me in the picture, a lot of people on here think it is though

11. yes its a compliment,,,,,

i gotta go,,,, got me a hot date at the bar tonight,,,,, with a tight ass honey,,,,, that likes to get on top...

yes ive been there allready '' and im going back''

be cool young blood,,,:cool:

12. thats fucking nuts dude....i thought my areas cops were bad....they only threaten to bring out the dogs.......and my school has never had a search but its 1600 students and there arent that many stoners......but FUCK THE POLICE end of story

13. Haha thats what I'm talkin about chicken :D

14. If the dog smells something in your car, that constitutes probable cause and gives the pigs full right to search your car. Sucks, but it's how it is...

EDIT: @ chicken... The dogs aren't trained to hit on command... They're trained to search out organic scents. So anything organic (coming from the earth) will be sniffed out... Coffee... Herbs... Pot... If it grows wild, the dog will smell it and "hit".

15. wow that seriously sounds like my old high school back in texas.. last year to be exact. the town that i lived in was only a population of around 15,000 people, and we had too many cops. like seriously, the police force was too big. anytime you got pulled over, you'd get a ticket for the stupidest shit. my best friend's parents both have gotton pulled over by one single cop 3 times each in the past year. i'm glad as fuck im out of that place.

16. Yeah we have a pretty big inexperienced police force. We have 9 charger cops now I'm pretty sure, a lot more crown vics and explorers, plus all undercover vehicles so it's pretty big for a small town. I love it here though, everyones so cool with eachother. Although it wont be like that for much longer. My city is on Americas top like 25 fastest growing towns, so were getting a lot of new shit built here.

17. Actually on the Never get busted DVD Barry Cooper said and shows that there are dogs that are trained to hit on command

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J41K2XHpNnE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J41K2XHpNnE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAMO0nkaJnU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAMO0nkaJnU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"This is a great example of a false alert. Barry testified against this dog. Notice the handler tapping the door for an alert after the K-9 already passed the door twice?"

18. From my knowledge who ever said they need the owner of the shopping malls permission is right. It is on private property and not city streets so the cops can't search anything on it without a warrant or permission from the owner. I know you can't be given a ticket in a shopping mall unless the owners says so.

19. What do you mean by a dog "hitting" something?

20. "hit" means the dog alerted to a smell, And once a dog alerts the cops have full rights to search your car.