Tobacco use around plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by hello2314, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Hey everyone i recently noticed mottling and discoloration on my leafs and looks alot like tobacco mosaic virus. I was just wondering how many people here smoke tobacco or use tobacco products and then mess with there plants and have not had problems. I hear it is really rare but im really worried i got it, and need some input.

2. I smoke cigs, and have been told since the beginning to not smoke around the garden, and to even wash the smoke off your hands before going into the grow room (supposidly tobacco smoke is like poison to the plants?). Now I never really wash my hands right after smokin and before goin in there, but I surely don't smoke around them...

3. Idk bro. I smoke around mine every so often, but after reading this...

.. Yeah there are plenty of other places to smoke. Not worth the risk. Never doing it again.

4. Agreed! Good call!

5. What method are you growing in?

6. If you think you have tobacco mosaic virus you probably have a ph or salt buildup problem that is causing lockout or you have really fucked up water or soil. Figure out if you have a ph problem and/or flush with pure water.

I'm not an expert but I had something similar once and all my searches led me to TMV but then further research indicated that the chances of TMV hitting a cannabis crop were very slim. Then i started paying attention to the recurring suggestions of ph and salt buildup and realized that I couldn't ignore those factors anymore.

Nute lockout can manifest itself in very disturbing ways that make you think the sky is falling. Correct whatever is causing your lockout and your plant will recover in its new growth. Any leaf tissue that has turned brown (necrotic) will not recover so you have to accept those losses.

7. Yep and if your pH is off and you try to adjust with nutes in the water it can create compounds that are toxic to the plant.

8. lol does anyone know where to get a cheap ph tester??

wtf they are like 60 bucks. Which i dont have right now. Just burned 60 on an eighth of dank. XD

9. I just use the pH solution indicator shit.