To Top Or Not?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by BongKilla, Jan 28, 2010.

1. So Im a new grower, growing in a DWC system. I have 2 plants in a 2x4x7 grow tent. I have a 250 watt mh Im going to use for the veg stage and then a 230 watt hps light Im using for flowering.

Right now Im only 10 days into growing (starting from seedlings; Blackjack feminized seeds from Nirvana) and have them under some CFLs until they grow a few new sets of leaves. Im not nearly ready to top but want to be ready when i get there.

I've read a lot about topping and how its best for ppl with limited space but this isnt a problem for me. Some claim that topping and femming increase harvest and then I've read threads where folks say it isnt that big of a deal.

So has anyone ever done both and compared the results? No offense, but if you havent, Id rather hear from someone who has done and seen it first hand.

Thanks!

2. topping does increase, yield, but it also depends on your strain.
    you would have to find out if they recommend topping, most plants do however.

if you plan on topping wait till your plant has about 5-6 nodes.
    happy growing:hello: -K

3. I would not top. I don't care if it increases yield or not, so this is a very VERY biased answer. My reasoning is, would you grow more fingers if I were to chop one off? Sure you might get two new colas, but you just whacked a perfectly good cola off, that may have grown bigger then the two new ones. Don't quote me on this one, I may be wrong.

4. my last girl i grew i topped excessively just to see what would happen. it was a pretty good size bush that yielded over 50 grams. it was also the only plant to survive all the way to harvest.

on my third grow i had 1 plant i did not top. it grew pretty tall. (almost 2 feet tall). it was a low yielding plant about 13 grams.

the veg time was significantly different. but the topped plant has many more bud sites compared to the natural plant. the cola size is decreased when the plant is topped. i did not get a big main cola on the topped plant.

i hope this helps

:smoking:

5. This is the hard scientific evidence that I needed. I guess topping does help :D

6. I don't think comparing fingers of a human to limbs and such of a plant are a very good comparison. Other then that i found it to be a pretty funny statement.

7. I didn't mean it to be that dramatic, but I also found it funny while posting it, hehehe.

8. K is right, certain strains will do better than others after being topped.

Sometimes it will be benificial, and sometimes it will decrease your yield.

All depends on your strains... do some research on whether it does well after being topped.

Good luck:smoking:

9. Thanks for the help and advice. I sent the ppl over at Nirvana what they recommend for the strain that I got. Will keep you guys posted. :smoking: