to top, or not to top...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Rabidcat, Jun 15, 2012.

1. So there are these 2 beautiful plants....one is topped the other is not. Surprisingly they are the same height almost.

Oh yeah if I seem like a newbie, it's because should the tall one be topped?

Your input is greatly appreciated

Topped
    ForumRunner_20120614_225710.png

Not topped

ForumRunner_20120614_225754.png

2. beautiful plants. I've never grown before, first grow atm. I'm sorry I can't help though. the topped one will have a higher yield right? o btw how old are they?

I say don't top the other, then compare the plants at harvest and see which is better:)

3. Its all really you decision if you wanna top or not if u want it to grow tall then dont but if you want it to bush out then top the fuck outta it haha

4. [quote name='"eastbaykushclub"']Its all really you decision if you wanna top or not if u want it to grow tall then dont but if you want it to bush out then top the fuck outta it haha[/quote]

will an untopped plant finish before a topped one?

5. Thank you guys, that was my idea. However I do have a3rd plant half the height of those two but it's also topped.

Bad thing is it's in the shade 3/4ths of the day already in the ground :(

As for the day I started them I think early April didn't expect them to look this good as this since this is my first ever grow too.

Also....these are in plain sight so I need to move them to the woods but they won't receive the6-7 hours they are getting of direct sunlight.

Sorry if this is hard to read but i'm watching a fucked movie I'll update better tomorrow

6. [quote name='"SMDforCABBAGE"']

will an untopped plant finish before a topped one?[/quote]

Not necessarily they'll just grow vertically rather than horizontaly look into fimming if you really want bushy plants

7. [quote name='"eastbaykushclub"']

Not necessarily they'll just grow vertically rather than horizontaly look into fimming if you really want bushy plants[/quote]

so it doesn't affect yield at all?

8. It depends on the strain, some plants yield more when topped, some don't.

9. Topping is usually a good choice, if you're working with hermaphroditic plants especially african landraces it can get a bit troublesome but otherwise id top

10. [quote name='"eastbaykushclub"']

Not necessarily they'll just grow vertically rather than horizontaly look into fimming if you really want bushy plants[/quote]

Dude, I thought fimmming was topping. Just different lingo...

11. [quote name='"Rabidcat"']

Dude, I thought fimmming was topping. Just different lingo...[/quote]

FIM'ing removes only 80% of the new growth ( FIM = fuck I missed) and topping removes all the new growth

12. [quote name='"SMDforCABBAGE"']

FIM'ing removes only 80% of the new growth ( FIM = fuck I missed) and topping removes all the new growth[/quote]
    Theres your answer

13. topping just creates two tops and in attempt to "bush" your plant out. I have done it with GREAT success, but you must start when the plant it still young. You want your plant to be used to being topped. If you top too late into the plants life/growing season, you can stress it and cause abnormal growth - I've seen it happen.

It's your choice, but topping and LST'ing have been very successful techniques for me.

14. Next year i'm definitely investing into some real strains and will try some if these advanced techniques. As for now though, I want to see how big the main Cola on the not topped plant will be and compare the overall weight of each plant.

Also right now i'm using 3gal. pots so should I transplant them later in the season?

I added super thrive and damn do they love that stuff.

15. A good rule of thumb that I have been going by is top tall lanky sativa plants and don't top squatty indica plants, why? because the sativa wants to climb high and not bush so much, causing a taller stretched out plant with longer stretch between the nodes and the buds don't fill in all the way, topping it makes it slow down going straight up, and uses more energy filling out the buds rather than stretching straight up, but, the reason not to top an indica because it already wants to stay short and bush out so topping it might just stop the whole plant from growing for a minute until it recovers.. this is my personal experience with the strains I have grown.. if you dont know how ur strain grows, topping it might just not be a good idea.. lst is a great option, bend branches away from the middle of the plant so the sun get in thru the canopy.. this causes lots of bushing out..

16. Why were some of my leaves like this?

ForumRunner_20120615_134336.png

17. Any comments? My 3rd grow (getting better, fewer mistakes. 16 sq ft tent with 600wt hps.Have a varity of 6 plants, all topped and doing well. Hesi ferts.
    I'm thinking for my next time of growing about 12 plants (tangerine dream and some type of kush) without topping any of them. Maybe 9 or 10 liter pots. Tent is about 75" tall.
    Your thoughts are very much appreciated.
    Thanks and remember, the more crops you grow, the better you get! (hopefully)