Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

To the smoking parents

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by 420toker4824, Jul 7, 2011.

1. #1 420toker4824, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
    My family and I just found out my 15 year old brother smokes. He gets good grades and has a life (I think). My parents flipped out on him and he is grounded for 3 months. I'm scared to smoke after their reaction :p but my question is what would you do as a parent in this situation?

2. Probably the same.

3. #4 420toker4824, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    But why? I started at 15 and it's not to young to make your own decisions

4. #5 rawrfish, Jul 7, 2011
    nm I'm gonna take my opinions elsewhere :)

5. #6 420toker4824, Jul 7, 2011
    I doubt he deals my dad found a small spoon and 1.5g under his bed

6. #7 Bo Hinch, Jul 7, 2011
    I started smoking at 13, graduated to regular basis after I got a steady job at 16. Grades went down, friends changed, thought I was having a great time. I did graduate though. By comparison, the friends who weren’t all 420 in hs are now very successful while I on the other hand did not go back to college until I was 30 and have not been employed f/t since fall 2008. I could have done things alot differently, but had some other emotional and personality issues I dealt with also, in addition to being a full blown alkie at 18. I was a functioning one though…or so I thought. Been sober from alcohol and illegal substances since 1993.
    Fast forward. My son is 21 attends a major Pac-10 school. Was also the salutatorian of his hs class. I always told him, “Son wait til you graduate from college before starting your drinking or drugging career. Wait til’ you have a wife, family, house and car to lose.” Don’ start til’ you can be in a position to lose everything. My parents never gave me that talk. Would it have made a difference? I will never know.

7. I do think about stuff like this as I'm old enough to have teenage kids but don't, though I didn't start smoking till a few years ago. If as you say he gets good grades and particapates in things he needs to do as part of the family, has friends , not getting in trouble- I'd probably have a discussion with him about how much and when he's smoking and what sort of money he's spending. If it was at a low enough level -like at parties on the weekend spending 5 or 10 bucks/just an occasional thing and a little money- I'd probably leave it as that though say I'd rather him not till he was older- though not really come down on him unless he was smoking every day, grades were slipping he wasn't playing his part in the family. I think it would be a hard thing as kind of hypocritical to tell him not to but sterss it can be over done at any age espically that young and then there are legal repercussions if he's caught and parents are responsible for those if he's under 18. I think a lot of kids try it for what ever reasons- I was an odd one being always around it but choosing not to. So if he'd only done it once or twice I think they over reacted. I'm assuming your 18 or older- I'd becareful - not smoke at home- not come home obviously stoned- try to respect youyr parents thoughts and make sure your not getting carried away. My personal thoughts are if you get to the point where you have a problem not smoking for a few days (except if your older and it's medical) or limiting it and are spending money on weed and missing out on other things you want do to the amount you have gotten to the point you have a problem on some level. Those are just my quick thoughts off the top of my head. I'll be curious to how any parents on here who do have teens react.

8. Speaking as a parent, I have two Daughters both of a legal drinking age, I know they don't Smoke. If one of them started I think I would offer the same advice

9. Well since I smoke I would monitor my child and see how they act. If their grades are falling then I would have to crack down on them. I would want to know where they are smoking and who they are smoking with, because I wouldn't want my child getting arrested. I would tell them the pros and cons of marijuana, and be understanding. You have to be a caring, yet responsible parent, because if you be a asshole to your child then their gonna be an asshole to theirs.

10. Now I am totally confused. :confused: Is he your twin brother? Did you start at 14 or 15?

That is one reason I don't lie, who wants to remember all their made up tales? :smoke:

11. I started around 14-15 idk I'm 21 now and going to university sorry I don't remember the exact date I started smoking

12. I would pretend I didn't know if I was a parent lol

13. Too young to be doing drugs imo

14. This^ if they were under 18 but over 14. If younger then the hammer would fall, older it's time we smoke together.

15. You don't know yet you posted those in June shortly after joining?

Can I do that backwards i.e. loose 7 years in 4 months? Like you did from smoking at 14 four months ago to 21 now? :eek:

16. My house my rules. Like it or leave

17. #18 420toker4824, Jul 7, 2011
    I smoked my FIRST time at 14/15 now I am 21 and I started smoking again like 6 months ago

18. I would be real with my kids, because kids are smarter than people think. Sure, around the teens, most people turn into morons due to hormones corrupting their ability to think much, but still, I'd have a talk with him, let him know not to be stupid about it. Tell him if his grades suffer, we're gonna have a problem or if I see him fuckin around....

Had a 14 year old in my house who started goin the way of gangs, smokin weed, talkin shit. Pulled his pants down when he was 15 and spanked his hairy ass in front of his friends to let him know who's boss. (I tried all of the above before this) He cleaned up after that and now has a job and is doing good. Everyone is different and depending on the personality of the person, I'd approach them the most proper way. For the thug wannabe in my house a spanking sufficed, but for most people giving them expectations, trust, and a little earned freedom goes a long ways, as opposed to gestapo tactics.

19. I agree^^^. I'd do the same thing, I got cleaned up after my teens too.