To SCROG or not to SCROG...

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by abnormldood, Apr 4, 2009.

1. #1 abnormldood, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
    That is the question. I'm starting my first indoor grow in about a month's time and plan on going with the bubble bucket method. I'd just like to hear everyone's take on the pros and cons of SCROG vs LST with bubble buckets. I will be growing 4 fem WW's from GHS under a 400w HPS, so max yield/potency is top priority(of course). They will be germinated in rockwool under a dome and then placed into the buckets with 5" net pots in hydroton for veg and flower. I plan on building an AeroCloner for when I start taking clones also. Should I go SCROG over LST or vice-versa and why? Any good tips for the construction/maintenence of bubble buckets you wish you knew when you started out? I have no space limitations other than what is restricted by my light source. I'm sorry in advance if my questions are too vague, I will reword them when I'm sober.:smoke:

2. The only problem with Scrog with DWC (bubble bucket) is when you do your res changes.... it becomes almost impossible to remove the lid with roots and all from the bucket with a screen over top unless the screen is mounted to the lid.

I run DWC and personally love LST.. just use some string and scotch tape, or mount hooks to your lid and use them as ties...then when water change time comes you can lift off the lid with your LST un-interupted.

There is an article in the beginners section called Building a bubble bucket... good article that gives you all the tips you need to get started...from there just add your own personal tweaks

3. you'll yield more with a scrog over any method. (if done properly.) i recommend a bubbler myself, if you want to go that way. whatever you choose, changing out the rez/bucket can be a chore. prior to starting, you can make access holes in your lids, big enough for a small pump to empty them. holes need to be covered when not used.

4. #4 abnormldood, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I've given this some thought and agree that scrog would be a chore with bubble buckets, so I'm looking more into LST. However, most of the guides I'm finding are pretty vague. I understand that you tie the plant to a 90 degree angle at 3-5 nodes and then work your way around the rim of the bucket. How exactly does that work? Is your main goal to just bush it out or to fill the lid of the bucket? Like, do you train it in a circle and work outward or does it have to reach the rim of the bucket first like in the picture? Does anybody have a detailed guide on the actual theory of LST, the ones I'm finding leave out a lot of info. I'm just having a little trouble trying to visualize the process, mostly at stage 1 and when you switch to 12/12. How long does growth usually take until I have to tie it down again? I know it's a matter of strain and experience, but I want to get the best understanding I can before attempting. Thanks in advance.:)

5. I use DWC with SCROG, it's no chore at all... I use the drain to empty my res and I fill through the net pots... simple as cake and ludicrous yields.

6. Hey check out my grow here...its a 14" tall main stem no higher than 6" from the bucket lid, overall the whole plant is only 8" or 9" high from the lid.

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/366548-my-alaskan-ice-lst-grow.html

Your right you LST the main branch in a loop (you'll never go all the way around like in the pics).. mines gone from the middle of the lid to the edge and maybe 1/3 of the way around the rest is side branches....which brings me to my next point.

In LST its not just the main stem you can train where you want it...you can also tie every side branch where you want it to go every internode branch...its sweet, you also tie large fan leaves down so your bud sites get more light (saves from pruning them)

Personally I use string you can by from the dollar store and scotch tape... hooks screwed into the lid before your grow would work way better..

Basically tie a big 2-3" lasso around the branch you want to train and it have it rest under neath the nodes of the fan leaves on that branch. Then gently pull on the string to a hook and tie it off.. its really easy to gauge by feel how far you can stretch before damage is done.. but if you do it on a regular basis while the stems are still midly softer its super easy

I would have to guess..even never doing scrog before but hearing about its yeilds.. if you were to combine the two, LST for veg then scrog last week of veg and all of flower... I would think yeilds would be the heighest for any grow of that particular strain you happen to be doing if you combined the two.. but thats up for experiment!

I like Ganja Ganja's idea though put lots of R&D into your bucket (ie. add fill & drain ports) and you could do both no problem!! To each his own.. start a journal when you get going!! Im still debating starting mine for this current grow but I'll definately do one for the next!

Do you have a drip system for the net pot? if so watch out for stem rot because the rockwool stays so moist! After you have 2 or 3 roots sticking through the pot the rockwool dosnt need to be moist on top.... jus my .02.. dont want you to get caught like I did!

Good luck