To prune or not to prune that is the question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by greenthumb76, Jul 2, 2009.

1. #1 greenthumb76, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  2. popular vote, no never take a healthy leaf. reality, most everyone takes a few fan leaves on mature plants to get more light to the bottom. I prefer to prune all the lower branches and concentrate on the tops. it;s really hard to type when i am this stoned

3. those are some fat fat leaves bro. could be the strain but if you want to try to slim down the leaf size, hit em hard with a fan. room humidity might be adequate but I bet there's a huge moisture jump between the leaves and soil. like dejavurick said, clip the bottom leaves and open er up underneath.

4. i "always" do a lot of trimming. i also follow the old, "if you can't tuck it, pluck it," adage. if it's in the way move it if you can. if you do trim, only do a little at a time. too much at one time can cause a lot of stress.

5. wow, never seen leaves that broad

6. Thanks for all the info. I know the fan leaves are pretty broad on these plants so that is my dilema. I am going to read the bible to see what they sugggest as well but i definately need to get light under the fan leaves.

So what are the fans leaves for do they provide any bud or are they there just to bring nute up the plant

7. How deep down the fan leaf would you prune. right at the stem. I have some fan leaves that are sprouting more veg at the cross of the trunk and the stem of the leaf.

8. all of the leaves are there to provide energy for the plant. think of them as solar panels. they use the light to get the whole growing process going, and to maintain it. you'll "always" hear differing opinions on pruning leaves. some folks don't cut off anything. i look at it this way. what happens when you start cutting your lawn regularly? it grows back quicker.....

9. Ok so out of the eight plants we pruned plant 3, plant 6 and plant 7. Plant 3 has a lot of growth underneath so I pruned enough to get light in. Plant 6 had some huge fan leaves and prune just two of them off. Plant 7 had discolored leaves i pruned off and opened up a lot of growth underneath as well. We will see how these three go from here.

10. you can also cut the leaf tips off to allow for more light in future times.

11. those fat leaves may be an indicator that your plants aren't getting enough light. Food for thought

12. fat/broad leaves are an indicator that you have (probably) an indica dom. strain.

13. probably but not necessarily.
    here's a Durban Poison. pure sativa.
    IMGP3841a.JPG

14. those are some fat ass motherfucking leaves. I wouldnt take a healthy plant's leaves tho. just add more light/reflection to the side. plus you'll be able to get a nice healthy clone from that girl

15. Thanks for all the info.

As for the light we have a 400 hps sunsystem light covering a 5ft long and 2ft wide area. As well as mylar on all three sides, we had to take off the front part due to air issues. should i put mlyar under the plants to try and reflect light up? food for thought:p

the strain i have no idea as the seeds came from bags. but the leaves are huge and very fat. I did prune 3 of them just to see what happens.

As for a clone....well we still need to make sure they are female. I hope your are right because they are some great healthy fan leaves and that is our plan to eventually get a clone going. I don't want ot drive to canada every time i need seeds. won't ship to me and would never put another person in that position so right know I will pick them up and drive them home.

The three that were pruned seem to be ok. no problems with the stress actually one of them grew 3 inches in a 24 hr period after pruning. I will post pictures tomorrow of the pruned ones.

plants are in bed so off to get :smoking:

16. agreed! that's why i like to use riders (probably) in posts. it gives you (me) an out, LOL!!!

17. So anyone have any input on putting mylar below the plants to help reflect the light up and uder the FAT ASS leaves...:confused: We have rearranged the area added more mylar on the one side we left open and also to the ceiling (wether that will help or not worth a shot) we also put back up the front piece which now pretty much forma box around the plants see grow journal pictures from today which show the modifications we made. still would like to know what you guys think about the mylar underneath

18. how did i screw that up??? that's why i usually add a rider like, "probably." LOL!!!