Coronavirus COVID-19 To cook or not to cook

Discussion in 'General' started by LucastheDoofus, Mar 29, 2020.

1. So... I was a cook for 7 years, one of my duties was to keep the kitchen clean and up to snuff with the health inspectors. The local hospital in my area is in need of all types of staff. You name it they need everyone in preparation for this virus. There has not been any reports of it in the immediate area YET. I mentioned it to my family and friends and everyone is telling me not to go there and work, stay home. Do I live in fear and stay home or do I help the community and risk it.? What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I still gotta go to work.

• Like Like x 2
  3. When i worked in a supermarket meat dept i hosed the whole bitch down ceiling to floor with disinfectant daily. Environment cant get you sick but the people within it can.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aha very true, one of the things I wonder is what the kitchen staff at the hospital is doing under these circumstances and what extra precautions they are taking. Reminds me one of the things I had to do at my old job was pressure wash the floor, the grout gaps between the tiles lol.

5. "An army marches on it's stomach" so as these doctors are going to be in need of food to eat to keep up their energy to care for people. Personally, I myself will do it but it's up to you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I gotta make parts for medical and food processing. Buncha people there in their 50+ gonna suck when we get it.

7. I agree, thanks for your input

8. #8 BrewsnWeed666, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020

I personally wouldn't go work for a hospital right now.. unless you was contracted there before all this shit broke out then don't go there lol, the hospital nearest to me has cancelled pretty much everything unless it's do or die surgery... So fuck going near any hospital unless it's life threatening :confused_2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hospitals are a good place to catch a virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Let’s hope that day doesn’t come, I hope management is doing everything possible to prevent it and that you are not shoulder to shoulder on an assembly line. imo if you CAN contribute then you SHOULD contribute. You are needed.

11. Will they give you proper protection or just the usual garbage bag suits and masks made out of diapers?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Good question, that may be the deciding factor. I do not know

13. You are right, that’s the point.. I’ll put you down as a no, stay home lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. I wouldn't do it unless I was extremely desperate for a job. I am not sure where you are located but for what they pay hospital cooks here there is no way in hell I would step foot into ground zero. At the same time, a person has to eat so really the question is do you want or need the money enough to shoulder the risk? For me it is also a different question if you are 20 and healthy vs 50 with health issues. I might be more inclined to accept the risk at a younger age simply because the hospitalization and death rates are positively associated with age.

15. You know Zimmerman dont you... the chef?

16. Probably won't give OP anything I seen a video earlier of a nurse who quit over not being given PPI

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boy u better collect that fucken unemployment insurance.

Regardless of position everyone of staff should be keeping their stations and general work area clean. Servsafe is like a basic thing all cooks should have. Unless that's just illinois. My chefs know I dont play that dirty shit. Unless they're super slammed or behind on a tasting, fuck all that.

18. stay at home until you had the shot or the covid that way you are safe then you can think again

at the mo your are a waste of space waiting on the flue