Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

To buy a pipe, you must...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by bittytoker, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I've been toking for about 4 months now. I've been learning more and more at my own pace and am very happy to be able to say so. I have never used anything other than a bong to smoke since I started. This being said, I've decided to begin my exploration to another neck of the smoking woods. Dry pipes.
    Bongs have certain desirable characteristics on the aside from Aesthetics (perc, ice catchers, all that jazz,) that make them better, smoother, and easier to use. I'm making this forum to ask what to look for besides aesthetics in a pipe. I have 20-50 dollars to spend. But in the end plan to buy whatever speaks to me most.
    Just let me know wha a pipe has that could make it better than other pipes. (Or are they all one in the same?)
    Oh. The main reason I'm doing this is becase I lent my bong to a friend and her mother found it. So I'm (happily) pieceless!
    I apologize if this is a thread that has been used many times. I searched to find an answer but found little.

2. Get a travel straight tube 65 save up way worth it bro Google soul shine family glass..or get a local person to blow u a cheap quailty glass pipe if u don't want a spend more.

And pipes are ALWAYS HARSH AND HOT SMOKE... There just short I mean I use one 1/100 times compared to bong butjust whatever u want just not China glass..

3. As far as material, I'd definitely suggest glass.
    No one buys metal pipes because they're good. They buy them because they're small and cheap.

Unlike metal, glass tends to not heat up while in use.

You're gonna want to keep in mind that you are now using a DRY pipe, and the smoke is going to be significantly more harsh than it was when you were using a bong. Bongs come with mechanisms designed cool smoke, hence making it less harsh.

With a pipe, your only defense against burning your throat will be the length of the pipe.
    The longer, the better. Also, longer pipes tend to look cooler and have more intricate designs.

You can optionally store your glass pipe in the freezer in order to help cool smoke before inhaling.

EDIT: P.S. Take small puffs, as opposed to big rips. You'll thank me later.

4. #4 *guest, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    Look at the hole sizes.

A lot of cheap pipes have very tiny holes, especially for the carbs. If it's only a millimeter or two across, I would personally avoid it.

My very favorite pipe is about 6 inches long. The carb is about.. ehh... 4mm diameter, same for the hole in the mouthpiece, hole in the bowl is maybe 3mm...

Those are just estimates, but a pipe that has a super small carb won't clear very well. A pipe that has a super small hole in the bowl and mouthpiece won't hit very well.
    A pipe that has a large hole in the bowl may require a screen or some extra care to keep burnt little nuggets out of your mouth, but a pipe that has a very small hole in the bowl will likely not hit as well.

If you're planning on using it as a daily driver and not as a "transportation" kinda piece, then don't buy anything too short. Don't buy an eyebrow burner. :p
    Keep in mind the thickness. Pick it up and decide whether it feels somewhat solid or like someone just put a glass feather in your hand. A really thin/cheap piece is bound to break easily, so just make sure it's solid. That doesn't have to mean that it's super-thick or super-heavy, just make sure it feels well-made.

The "very favorite pipe" I'm talking about cost me 15 dollars, but I got it direct from a glass blower. I'd expect to pay around $30 for a good-sized, decent-quality spoon.
    There are plenty of $10/$15 spoons at head shops in my area, but they are mostly complete crap.

5. Heavy glass, nice holes and a bowl that isnt too big or too small. Personally conical shaped bowls are better than round spherical bowls, but its just personal preference. And make sure the bowl hole isnt too big so you arnt sucking little bits through, though its bound to happen. Just rez it up and you wont have that problem.
    ~Thanks, Crispy~

6. really i think id prefer a joint or a blunt over a pipe. they are a real nice high and they arent harsh at all. ive never smoked out of a pipe but id say to me its not worth it. like they hit harsher cause the hot air gets to go through air not anything to cool it down. and then it just seems like it would be worse for your lungs. cause you still get tar from weed even if it doesnt cause cancer.

7. Holes and bowl depth. You don't want the hole in the bottom of the bowl to be too big you'll get pull through but if its too small itll get clogged very easily. With bowl depth it's just deeper=more weed in bowl

8. Personally, I'd take a glass spoon over a joint/blunt any day of the week. Even if the blunt had more weed in it. I just greatly prefer glass... I never feel like I get even nearly as high off of joints/blunts.

Besides, you talk about spoons hitting harsher than bongs, but a joint/blunt is typically even harsher than a spoon. At least once it gets past those first few hits. :p

But it's all just personal preference. If OP is used to bongs then maybe his preference is for glass... if he has an extra 20-30 dollars to spend, I think it would be worthwhile to try a nice spoon. :smoking:

9. ^^^^ Spoon is my preferred smoking method. Smoke on the go!

I don't know it's just convenient and it's easy to tell when you have a good high level. Also you can make a bowl last forever if you get the cherry going. I could talk about spoons all day.

10. You guys gave me LOVELY responses. I'm not into blunts. First. I'm not the best roller, second, I can't lie, aesthetics are a big thing for me. The reason for a pipe? Small, compact, less stress. I don't have to deal with a large galumphing, thumping, bobbley, bubble-blowing bong. As much as I like them, I just can't have it out all the time with my parents. I'd never want them to have to go through the stress of knowing their kid's a smoker. Secondly. I'm not a big user. I smoke about 3 times every 1 and 1/2 weeks. I try to smoke only when I have justification to do so. (Celebrating a good test, getting rid of a stressful day at school) I figure a pipe would be ideal for the amount I smoke. Besides. A bong should be something to look forward to with your buddies. It DOES get stale after 4 months :p

11. And when I say "never used anything but a bong", I mean never owned. I have used a friends pipe once and been rolld a few pieces. I also have a HUUUUGE peacepipe bubbler. Which I've modified to essentially be a bong.
    Another reason I like pipes is because the one I've used seemed to make the smoke.... SPICY.

12. Do it up, sounds like you have a good idea of from everyone what to look for.

- thick glass
    - decent sized holes
    - not too short so you keep your eyebrows
    - good sized bowl

Beyond this checklist, I guess just find something that catches your eye and makes you think "Damn that is a cool looking piece, I want it!"

13. Check around etsy, you can find some real cool handmade stuff there... just go under "glass" and search for a bowl. There's some not-as-great stuff, but some of it is really quality. I got my piece there, and it's really good. Much thicker than stuff I generally see in head shops. Bigger bowl, too. Real "chunky," and it looks awesome.

14. i bought a pipe kind of a while ago from a local thrifty type store for $20, it was on sale. it's about 4 and 1/2 inches long. that place is kind of expensive, and they don't have much (they did have gas masks with the bong for like $30, that was pretty cool) but they didn't care if i was 18 so that was my spot hahaha. it's kinda thin, but i've used it quite a bit and have been very careful with it so it's a little heavier from the resin, not much but def noticeable. then, i bought another from that shop also for like $20, but that one is much thicker, a little longer, and a bigger bowl pack. and just looks cooler. but usually, the designs are the only cool things on dry pipes. local places imo are usually pretty good for people under 18 (if they dont card) but i love actual headshops. anyone ever been to smokeez in providence, ri? blew my mind.

15. Thick glass. Make sure the holes aren't tiny as fuck.

16. You guys should show me some of your stuff! Do you have a good pipe? A normal pipe?
    Whatever! Personally I'm just a fan of looking.

17. I've been using a pretty small glass pipe for about 4 or 5 months and I thoroughly enjoy it. Other than the hotness of the smoke sometimes, they are a great piece to conceal. You also might have to put a screen (I use a pebble) in it so you don't get any scooby-snacks.

18. i have a great sherlock dry pipe. my only complaint is it can't stand up on a table or anything, but other than that it's great. look for locally blown glass if possible, support your glass scene!

19. [quote name='"Premium Gourmet"']i bought a pipe kind of a while ago from a local thrifty type store for $20, it was on sale. it's about 4 and 1/2 inches long. that place is kind of expensive, and they don't have much (they did have gas masks with the bong for like $30, that was pretty cool) but they didn't care if i was 18 so that was my spot hahaha. it's kinda thin, but i've used it quite a bit and have been very careful with it so it's a little heavier from the resin, not much but def noticeable. then, i bought another from that shop also for like $20, but that one is much thicker, a little longer, and a bigger bowl pack. and just looks cooler. but usually, the designs are the only cool things on dry pipes. local places imo are usually pretty good for people under 18 (if they dont card) but i love actual headshops. anyone ever been to smokeez in providence, ri? blew my mind.[/quote]

Wow you just admitted being underage.