TMNTs First Official Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by TMNToker, Aug 9, 2011.

1. #101 eastcoast22, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sounds like you should throw it away. If any of that shit got on your bud it's over. Disgusting.

2. This was a batch of soil I mixed up, used immediately once and then again to repot the Aurora and it looked fine... what if that was the issue though? If the soil had the beginnings of mold on it when I planted, could that be causing the Aurora to look so droopy and "bruised"? Even worse, could it jeopardize my entire grow?? Now I'm worried. Very stoned, and very worried.

ANYWAY, Did put more holes in both the 2Ls and the 6incher and got some runoff. Don't quite know what "30% runoff" means. 30% of what? But I did test the Ph of both the NL and the Critical + runoff (separately, of course). Was nervous about overwatering (to get runoff) the Aurora, really worried about her. She looks quite sick. The Ph of both the NL and the Critical + are high. If I remember, it was maybe 7.5 for the NL and maybe closer to 8 for the Critical +. That sounds pretty terrible, but they look healthy. Don't know how to change the Ph other than watering them, and the soil is already plenty watered. Really wish I had a person to show everything too and explain myself with spoken words, because pictures just aren't as helpful as I wish they were. Am so new to the world of growing that I'm hesitant to do every little thing and I feel like some needs to calm me down sometimes and tell me they're just fucking plants. :rolleyes:

3. It means 30% of the water you initially use to water the pot should run off the pot. I doubt theres a problem with the soil, I'm thinking the soil was super moist and wasn't allowed to air out...
    You change soil pH by changing your feed water pH. If your soil run off comes out to 7.5-8.0, lower the ph of the feed water to maybe 5.0 and keep watering until the soil runoff pH turns around 6.5.

Calm down, they're just fucking plants. LOL Sorry I had to. But really in all seriousness it'l be fine, these plants are resiliant; hence "weed".

4. #104 TMNToker, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
    Thanks, buddy haha. When you say "lower the ph of the feed water to maybe 5.0 and keep watering until the soil runoff pH turns around 6.5. " do you mean keep watering, even if the plants have had a good watering? Or just every time I do water them. If that doesn't make sense, let me know I guess and I'll see what I can do. Pretty medicated. :smoke:

ALSO: So if the soil I repotted did have the beginnings of mold on it, since it was in the bucket right before I noticed the mold, you don't think it would matter, or be the reason for the Aurora looking off?

ALSO ALSO: Would you maybe recommend a good water/nute schedule, or perhaps tell what I need to know to make my own. Ordering that fox farm from amazon. Stoked.

5. Yeah, I mean everytime you have to water, do it at ph 5.0 so you can start to lower the soil's ph. Each time, try to really get some run off from the soil and test it at each watering until it comes up to 6.5.
    I'm not too sure about the mold...If there was mold in the pot with the aurora, you'd probably see it on the topmost soil.
    Are you just ordering the Fox Farm Trio? Really thats all you need, everything else is just extra. I recommend making your own. Starting with 1/4th strength on 2 week old plants from seed going up to 1/2 strength as they mature in flowering. The concentrations are strain dependent in my opinion so you gotta watch the plants to see if they burn or not.

6. Well I thought maybe I'd start with an 1/8th dose and work my way up, because there's already dry nutes in my soil. I don't see any soil but I will keep an eye on it for sure. Good news is that the Aurora is definitely looking less droopy. but there's still the "amber bruise" issue. I'm gonna try to snap some pictures later to show you guys and find out if it's big enough to fuck with, but I'm thinking maybe I should pluck the rotten leaves? The "bruising" is pretty noticeable and does not look healthy, and is making the leaves brittle, so much so that one leave kinda cracked. Again, pictures later, but I just wanted to find out when it's safe for me to start plucking unhealthy growth. Just hesitant as I believe the leaves it's on are the two biggest. and I will definitely start lowering the Ph. Thanks a lot :smoke:

7. #107 TranceKid, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    That exact leaf thing happened to my grow when my nutes was out of whack. What happened in my situation was that my RO filter needed to be replaced...it was letting out a high PPM water full of high amounts of TDS and stuff like chlorine and all that. I was essentially giving them too many nutes and it was burning them. The leaf would turn from healthy green and feathery to dry, brittle and you could even break of pieces of the leaf very easily and tear it to shred by rubbing the piece between your fingers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Is it happening on all of the leaves on the entire plant or is it localized?

9. Not really localized. Just seems to be on the largest bottom leaves. I will take pictures of our entire setup in like an hour.

10. #110 TMNToker, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2011
    God damn Ph is so frustrating. When I first tested the NL runoff (10 minutes ago) it was too acidic, now it's too base. I must be doing something wrong. I'm following all the instructions I've been given and know how to use a Ph dropper kit from fucking high school science. All of them are too base right now haha. All roughly around 7.5. Just really annoyed and feel like fucking with them when they look pretty healthy isn't very productive. The Aurora looks a lot better but those lower leaves are still unhealthy, can I pick them or is she still too young??

11. #111 TranceKid, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sure you can cut the leaves off but if the problem isn't fixed, itl just creep back on you.
    Did you put dolomite lime in the soil ?

12. was i supposed to..? Well there is plenty of healthy growth at the top from what I can see. I'll snap some pics right now if my camera has battery.

13. You don't absolutely have to put lime in the soil. It just helps to have a buffer to keep pH in check easier.

14. Huh, not sure exactly what you mean but I'll look into it. Is it something dry that I mix with my soil or something I put in after they're planted?

15. A buffer is something that helps keep pH levels in a certain range; basic chemistry. Its something you mix into the soil to help keep the pH around 6.5. :D

16. Okay, time for some research then. Cause that sounds like what I need. Ripping my hair out over this Ph shit.

on a HIGHER (;)) note. PICTURE UPDATE :yay:

DSC_0002.JPG
    Side view of the Northern Lights

DSC_0003.JPG
    Top view of the Northern Lights

DSC_0004.JPG
    Side view of the Critical +

DSC_0005.JPG
    Side view of the Critical +

DSC_0007.JPG
    ANOTHER side view of the Critical +

DSC_0006.JPG
    Finally, a top view of the Critical +

DSC_0008.JPG
    Side view of the Aurora

DSC_0010.JPG
    Another side view of the Aurora

DSC_0009.JPG
    Top view of the Aurora

17. Doesn't look bad at all..Don't stress so much man :)
    Whens flowering starting?

18. DSC_0011.JPG
    7 spear leaves on the Critical +, a few on the Aurora as well.

DSC_0012.jpg
    Grow box in its current state

DSC_0013.JPG
    Aurora, Critical +, and Northern Lights in the box.

Also have pictures of a cabinet that I would like to turn into either a clone cabinet, or a nice SOG grow (much more likely) and am looking for some ideas. If you guys are interested in helping, basically I'm trying to find a way to lock this cabinet. It's about 27"h x 36" w x 7"d.

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

I had a few thoughts. Of course I could just wrap a chain around the knobs and lock it but that seems super iffy. But I was trying to think outside the box. Roommates are not growfriendly. I was thinking maybe long strips of magnets going vertically from top to bottom right behind the knobs, and then velcro on top of that. So the magnets and the velcro would kind of reinforce each other. On top of that, maybe drape the bob marley banner over it like in the picture (I think it looks like it's just being used to hang the banner, as the other walls in my room are covered with other posters) and then secure it with some sort of rope or string or belt on the top and bottom so it couldn't be removed (maybe even have the end of that string go into the cabinet or something, or just to the back of it and then secured some way. I don't know how good of an idea that is, just trying to get ideas other than "pad lock".

The idea is to damage the box as little as possible, because I really like this cabinet and it was in my room when I was a little kid. The back of the cabinet is just stapled on, so I plan to remove the staples (so I'm not cutting fan holes in the original back) and replace it with cut plywood from ace or the likes, and then cut fan holes in that.

If anyone thinks this is too much fucking information for one grow journal, let me know and I'll make a new thread about the box. :smoke:

19. Haha, like I even KNOW ;) basically my plan was to FINISH the NL before I even started flowering the Aurora and Critical + but the NL isn't growing very fast. The Aurora and Crit are easily double it's height. If the NL decides it wants to actually be an autoflower (nirvana had issues in the past) then they SHOULD start flowering here before too long. I'll do some more research on it.

and thanks man! The Aurora is looking a ton better now that I trimmed those bad leaves. All the growth is looking healthy but last time I watered the Ph was still off.

20. Now that my temperatures have stablalized, would it be safe to kick them back up to 24/0? :smoke: My NL is like 20 days in and still very small. Like just got some 5 speared leaves. This worries me, because I saw a NL auto grow that was easily twice the size of my photoperiods and was only 30 days old. I mean, the guy was growing in a 5gal bucket so obviously condition are far from the same, but I still just have a feeling that the NL isn't as large as it should be. Seems like it hardly grows. Don't think it's the pot, as my Aurora and Critical + are in smaller pots and are twice as big. Photoperiod vs Auto, different conditions obviously but I don't know, still just seems off. Wish there was more info on the NL. There are a few grow journals but most are ones that did not autoflower so took way longer. I'm counting on mine autoflowering because supposedly Nirvana fixed the issue, but we'll see.