TMNTs First Official Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by TMNToker, Aug 9, 2011.

1. #81 eastcoast22, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yup you got it.

2. #82 TMNToker, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2011
    Posting my 5gal mix for reference. :smoke:

5gal=20qt

7qt Ocean Forest
    4.6qt Planting Mix
    4.6qt Light Warrior
    3.2qt Perlite
    189mL Fruit & Flower
    189mL Jump Start

3. Bit of an update, will throw some pictures of maybe later today if I have time.

So I have transferred the NL to a bigger pot, it is 6 inches around, haven't measured height but I'll post it once I do. Unfortunately couldn't fit 3 of the 6 inchers in my box but I now have a plan. Basically the reason I moved the NL so quickly and not the others was because when me and my girlfriend were planting, we didn't fill that dixie cup as much as the others with soil so it was only about half full with soil, which was definitely limiting it's root growth, and on top of that, because the plant was so low in the cup, the leaves had no where to go, they were trapped in the walls of the cup and it hadn't really been growing for a few days. Long story short: transferred.

My plan for the other two is simple and I'm gonna let the soil dry out a bit today and then transfer the Aurora and Critical + (which is looking so fucking healthy I just don't know what to do with it:smoke:) into 2L soda bottles cut in about half (about the height of the 6 inch pot) when I get home from work.

I can't tell if the NL is really doing any better. I definitely was not as gentle as I should have been (was in a hurry to get it out of that cup, didn't wait for the soil to dry:eek:). May look just a little droopy, probably shock or over watering so we'll just have to find out if it gets any better. :cool:

The Aurora, and especially the Critical + are looking so beautiful :hello:, can't wait to transfer them and watch them skyrocket, as I believe they too have not been growing in leaps and bounds like they had been, and will surely benefit from a bigger pot.

See ya:wave:

4. Need some help! I will try to take some pictures later tonight but I have a psych paper to write, so we'll see if there's time. Basically here's what's going on. The NL was moved to the 6"w x 8"h two or three days ago and is doing great. Not quite shooting up like I thought it would, but it looks much healthier. For the other too, I cut 2L soda bottles in about half (4"w x 7 1/2"h) and wrapped them in some blue tape I had (so the roots aren't exposed to light). Don't think it is like a total shield but the light is at least less concentrated. If someone sees this being a problem, please say something. Anyways, I repotted the Critical + two days ago into the half soda bottle and it is doing very good as well. Very perky. However, I waited to transplant the Aurora until today (was waiting to finish off the bottle of soda haha don't wanna be wasteful :rolleyes:) and she does not look good. I had noticed she was starting to look a little droopy yesterday and I assumed she was either getting too much water (which I don't think is the case) or she had no more space for roots so was just generally unhealthy. I repotted her today, didn't go as well as the Critical + but I was still confident I didn't do too much harm. But I just took a look and she looks worse, droopy as hell. and now I'm noticing what I can only describe as small, dark orange/amber bruises on a few of the leaves. Maybe 2 or 3 of them. Looks very sick and it makes me feel like a bad plant parent. What is causing this? What can I do to perk her back up? Why the HELL is my NL so small if it will supposedly be done in six or seven weeks (two weeks into its supposed 8-9 week lifespan)

Please answer these questions for me? :smoke:

5. When I transplant I try to water just the area around the stem (the old soil) so that the roots will see out water in the new stuff...it seems to help the roots get to the bottom of the container faster, after that I fully water. I used to fully soak when I transplanted but then the container would stay soaked for a week or 2 sometimes...and in that time the plants would sometimes show signs of overwatering till they 'pulled through'

Not exactly sure on the spots. pics?

6. Well, autoflowers are small...and stay relatively small. :D

Have you checked for pests? What is the pH of your feed water and runoff? Have you been feeding nutrients? Have you been spraying them with anything?

I'm thinking transplant shock, but since you mention small amber bruises...pics would help a lot if you have time. :)

7. #87 TMNToker, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2011
    DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG
    The "amber bruises" on the Aurora. It looks less droopy and there is new, apparently healthy, growth. but the bruises look worse. Anyone have any thoughts? Haven't been feeding them anything but bottled water. I have not seen any pests and I'm not spraying them with anything. I still have no Ph meter (go ahead and yell at me haha. I'm aware I need to get on that shit. Just been busy with work and school.):confused: Don't think water is the issue, as the NL and Crit are being fed the same water.

ALSO: It was droopy and had the "bruises" before I transplanted so I don't think it's that.

HALP

8. Ok, so check your run off pH. If that is about 6.5, I will say to check how much you're feeding them. If thats in check, have you been accidentally dripping nutrient solution on that leaf?

9. alright, well I had been putting off buying some last grow stuff (Ph meter, higher watt bulbs, nutes, ect..) but I guess I'll have to head to sweet harvest around the corner and pick up a Ph meter. As I have no nutes to accidentally drip, that is not a possibility. I do not have a set feeding schedule yet, just been watering them when I feel the soil getting less moist. I water about every day, but only a small amount. The others are doing fine and I'm treating them about the same. I'll head to the store here in a bit and then I'll let you know. Would a hydroponic store have cheap dropper meters like you recommend or would they only have the more expensive digital ones? I guess I'll just have to go take a look :p

10. I'm gonna have to go with your pH is out of the good range.. Its important to use pH feed water and test the run off. :)

They should have both.

11. Well I'm leaving in just a minute to go get one so we shall soon find out. I just find it odd that it's the only one having issues, when the others are given equal treatment. Hopefully this will pinpoint the problem, though. Thanks, dogg.

12. Well, had a talk with Steve from Sweet Harvest about Ph (didn't really mention that one was looking sick) and he recommended making the water I feed slightly more acidic because the nutrients in my soil will add base to the water. Not sure whether this is accurate information but I went ahead and bought a dropper kit as well as some Ph up and down and tested my water and it was very base. Maybe between 7.5 and 8.0 Ph. The just gave my plants a good watering with water that I altered to be around 5.5 to 6. We'll see what happens I guess. having issues getting a runoff Ph, as there's like no run off. and when there is, it's all mix from the 3 plants so I don't know how accurate I can really get it. A little frustrated.

13. Good, I usually feed 5.5 - 5.8 feed water. Test run off one by one...not all at once. Monitor how they get after a few waterings at that ph. They should look better.

14. My issue is that there is no runoff! :confused: I feel like I'm drowning the fuckers but there's still no water at the bottom. and the little water that is there is not enough to test.

15. There should be run off if there are holes at the bottom of the pots.....

16. Even in the pot I bought rather than "made", there is no runoff. The other issue I have is to get the plants closer to the light, I have them on top of circular canisters that were for hookah tobacco, to raise them. I'd take a picture of my current setup but my camera battery is dead.

17. WHen you water, you want the top maybe 1/2 inch of the soil to be dry. Give a thorough watering so that there is runoff..

18. Well I thought I watered them pretty well, the top layer of the soil is super wet, but through the wholes in the bottom of the 6 incher I can see that the bottom soil is dry. Should I water more? Perhaps I don't have enough drainage? Would it be unwise to add holes to my 2Ls and maybe 6 incher now that there are plants (and roots) in them? Out of bottled water, so I'm going to Ph some tap water. However, I just so some info online that had a guy watering with 6.6 Ph water. What would you recommend my feeding water Ph be? You said you water with about 5.5-5.8? So much conflicting information. Even if I can get some runoff, am I just supposed to try to grab it with my dropper before the runoffs mix? I have one tray under all 3. Perhaps I should try to give them individual runoff trays?

19. #100 TMNToker, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
    just opened my five gallon bucket of soil since re potting and there's a shit ton of fuzzy mold on top. WAT DO?! :/