Tips on learning to play electric + acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by iweartshirts, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Hey fellow blades, I just recently started learning to play electric and acoustic guitar and I was wondering if you guys had any helpful tips or things to do as a beginner to help me progress better. thanks in advance :smoke:

2. practice the basics , or at least write 1 song/riff a day

Really depends, are you teachn yourself or do you have a teacher

3. im learning by myself, dont got the money to get a teacher.

im no where near the level to start writing a song or riff, what do you mean by basics?

4. Getting someone to teach you the basics will speed up your progress. Learning by yourself can cause you to develop bad habits in your technique, making progress more difficult. I suggest finding clips on youtube. Maybe I should do a lesson and put it on youtube.

5. The basics depends where you start from, since ur starting from scratch

Do u know the basic chords E A D G C Em Am, so on

i started off learning the chords

i was thinking of making some lesson on you so i might do that, and if you want any free lessons youtube has plenty of awesum teachers who has years of experience

6. It's all about trying to learn stuff your your interested in when you first start. Like very easy songs you enjoy listening. In my experience you gotta stick with it for about 3 months then the coordination will start coming. And as everyone else was saying YouTube videos are great

7. lock yourself up, and practice until your fingers bleed. Lol

But really the internet can provide you endless tutorials on how play in tons of styles, scales, certain methods of plucking for certain methods of fingering......

Start by learning some chords, let your finger memory start to teach you what motions to make for certain sounds

Then learn songs you like that sound easy, find tabs unless you can read music (learn how to do that anyway, its a good tool to have). Play along with the song... lots of pausing, rewinding, frustration....

Its really a game of try and try again until you are adjusted to playing the guitar then you can just use the web to learn literally anything you need

8. learn pentatonic scales

9. When you have some money, group classes for beginners can be very helpful. A lot of community colleges and universities have them, and several months worth of classes will probably cost less than 200 bucks, half the price of quality private lessons. They may also offer intermediate level classes, which you can take after you're done with the beginner class.

10. Use a metronome do not play one without one I promise you'll see results in days. Pick up guitar chord books learn a chord a day. Look up guitar tabs online!

11. Learn the most common chord progressions. For example, many, many songs follow the I-IV-V pattern. That means that you take an E chord. That's I. Play up the E major scale and you'll find the fourth note is A. There's your IV. Then the next note is B, or your V chord. A classic twelve-bar blues song will have four bars on the I, two on the IV, two on the I, one on the V, one on the IV and two on the I, then repeat.

Learn barre chords. You'll open up a ton of possibilities by just knowing major and minor barre chords. And it will help you learn where - I don't know what to call it - the home rows for lead work in different keys. I play electric and open chords can sound sloppy, so barre chords and power chords are key to rhythm work and they can teach you how to connect notes when you're soloing.

Play with a drum machine, or download rhythm tracks. If you're playing with nothing but silence you can feel pressured to overplay and you'll be slow to learn how to play in the pocket and develop your finger transition speed by trying to stick to a rhythm.

Look for guitar magazines because a lot of them come with instructional CDs and articles and notation to follow along with. And YouTube is a great source of knowledge and tips whether it's a tutorial or just watching a concert video to study a guitarist's style.

But the best advice is to play a lot and learn how to produce sound with your guitar. Listen to how it sounds when you pick the strings right over the soundhole or the pickups, listen to how it sounds when you pick near the bridge and mute the strings with your palm. Something as basic as the way you pick can totally change the way a guitar sounds, so explore the possibilities.

12. thanks for all the feedback fellas.

ive been using youtube religiously, i guess i just have to stick with it and not get discouraged... watching pros make it look so god damn easy.

im still at the point where my fingers get really sore after like 20-30 mins of constant playing, which doesnt help at all.

the type of music i really enjoy is grunge, punk rock, and alternative rock (like Eyes Set to Kill, A Day To Remember, Rise Against, and of course Nirvana... the list goes on)

so yeah ill keep doing what im doing since it was pretty much what you guys all recommended to do, just gotta fight those feelings of discouragement and frustration.

13. Don't worry man, you get out what you put in. If you keep playing and working hard I promise you'll see results. The best way to learn is always going to be with an experienced teacher. I cannot reccomend that highly enough. If you truly can't afford that option, just find other people to play music with. Evrn if you can't play anything at all, whenever you meet a musician ask them to show you something. Youtybe tutorials are also great

Start by learning basic chords (A, D, C, G, E) and practice those. As far as your fingers go, the more you play the better calluses you'll get. I would reccomend learning on something easier on your fingers though, a light gauge of string in electric or nylons for acoustic.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself. Music is an expression, not a job. My old bass teacher always told me if I ever wasn't having fun to put down the instrument immediately and not come back until I wanted to play it. You can't force yourself to become a good musician, it just happens or it doesn't. Good luck!

14. Agree. Always practice with a metronome. That is of course coming from a drummer, but still the metronome will only do good when it comes to learning properly.

Practice every single day. A tip: leave your guitar where you can see it, if it is in a case you won't see it and you're less likely to play. Even if you can only squeeze in 20 minutes of practice you should do it, it will all pay off.

Also, you could learn to read music. A great skill to have.

15. Check out Truefire.com. You can get a free 30day trial. They have great videos. My first teacher told me to arch my fingers.. Play everyday, I've been playing for 8 years, and when I don't play for a day my chops start deteriorating, but they come back quickly..Have fun it's a lifelong journey! I love Guitars!!