Tips on how to maximize yeild in a 4x4

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Acethecrooked, Jun 9, 2018.

1. I'm a beginner who's wondering whats the best way to maximize yeild. I currently have a 4ft x 4ft tent I also will order 2 600w viprasoectra LEDs or a 1200w (not sure yet) ventilation is tooken care of I'm growing in Coco coir the strain is black widow. I just want some tips on how to maximize my yeild.

2. Study study study. Got photos bro?

3. 2 of the 600w lights will pull 538 watts and the 1200w light pulls 524 watts. For better coverage you'd be better off with the two lights. The perfect size for that kind of led in a 4 x 4 would be about 650 actual watts, not equivalents. The best way to maximize your yield is training. Assuming you can keep the plants health, with the correct amount of quality light in a 4 x 4, you should be able to yield 20-24 oz. easily with training. Good luck and welcome to GC. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. In order to maximize any grow space you need an even canopy. There's so many different ways to accomplish this I won't bother going over all of them.

A master grower who works out of a small room like that is a master plant shaper. You need a top in every available spot in that garden all the same distance from the light so they can all live in the narrow band of best growth that an indoor light provides. Your training should centralize on putting the majority of the plant canopy in that 18" deep or so band and also have just the right amount of thickness to the canopy for good air circulation and light penetration. Air circulation is very important and overlooked.

It takes some practice to figure that out but it can also take a few years to realize that is what you're actually attempting to do so it's possible even just those few tips can cut many grows off of your learning curve on learning how to have a high producing 4x4. You're welcome.
    [​IMG]

Supercropping is my favorite training method.
    Super Cropping Marijuana: Simple Secret to Bigger Yields | Grow Weed Easy

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah mate exactly what the guys said there .
    I use very similar lights to the 600s, 2 per sqm and do quite well. Not the best lights but they do the job. The penetration on them isnt great though which means the even canopy is a must. Hps growers can get away with christmas treeing plants but for us led growers its a massive waste if you dont grow horizontally first.
    Whatever form of training you go for id advice using liquid scillica in the nute mix. It reinforces the plants structure. Makes it stronger and much more flexible.
    Stops you snappin bits when your tying it down.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  6. Buy 4 300s and you will get more coverage of the girls as they can be positioned for maximum penetration.

7. Nah mate ive already got 6 lol. Just need to cover 1sqm for 2 month till i get the other 4 back from my other grow. Hence why i want it cheap as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Regular household led bulbs with the globe removed. Nice and cheap and can be bought almost anywhere.
    Seen a few grows done start to finish using just them alone and they did an excellent job.
    6W 10W LED BC B22 GLS Light Bulb Energy Saving Lamp Warm Cool Day White Globe A+ 5016529199496 | eBay

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Sorry man thought i was in a different thread there. Was discussig my own lighting with someone else and thought youd replied there. Stoner moment lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. It's cool bro. We all been there haha

11. Occupational hazard mate

• Like Like x 1
  12. I run my room at like 600 Watts. You don’t need to over kill the light wattage really 100 Watts per plant is just fine. 1200 Watts in a 4x4 is a shit ton of wattage to me anyways... viparspectra is good however as a beginning grower I wouldn’t find the need to go all out on a expensive ass light. MarsHydro is a USA based brand manufactured in China but still great quality(I have one works flawlessly) heard about them from google on best grow lights for the price. 2 300w mars hydros would only be like 100 bucks total and will leave u some room to spend money on another light for a veg room or something. T5 Floros have never done me wrong although I know leds are new age(they’re fine for veg) I just like how t5s stretch and produce little to no heat your plants plus the bulbs are really long (fish tank lights work great for something like a closet) they’re all over sites like offerup for like 40 bucks max. Leds get a little hot not nearly as bad as an hps so just don’t go overboard on the Watts it’ll most likely make your tent too hot and ur plants will slow down growth a little. Also co2 is a great thing to have flowing in your tent, especially at temps around 80-84. Ideal temp without co2 is no more than 80ish or it’ll make ur tent stuffy and starve for co2. U can look online on what it does and how to make a little co2 generator. Super simple takes like 5 mins to make. Hope this helps good luck.

13. You can't discuss wattage or size grow areas based on rated 600w or 1200w numbers on the side of led panels. They're all over the place in how many actual watts they have compared to those rated numbers.

Don't buy the 300w mars hydro. They would tell you the same thing. Yeah it was a good light, 5-6 years ago. It was their first model. It's way outdated. They made the eco49 to replace the 300w. It's all new parts and similar price.

That said messing with any of those cheaper led panels is a good place to start but it's not going to get you world class yield and grow efficiency if you're looking for an edge.

You want name brand white light cobs or led panel based fixtures. Lots of them out there.
    Horticulture Lighting Group
    Timber Grow Lights
    DIY kits - Horticulture Kits - Rapid LED
    Welcome
    https://chilledgrowlights.com/

Those are probably the only companies I would buy from. I run about 570 watts at the wall in my 4x4. Efficiency is where it's at. IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0955.JPG

• Like Like x 5
  14. I use it as a size panel with an hps. Works totally fine for me. Bright as shit, good coverage. When u get to random Chinese mom and pop factory brands is when they get shitty. Mars has full warranty for a 3rd of the price, I was just giving advice on how to startup in a 4x4 with little money and good results the eco looks nice tho I wanted that one. The 300 is probably the same coverage just less energy spent. I know some people like to go all out but I never found much of a difference. Maybe cuz i still run an hps idk. My buds are dense as shit at like day 40 with my 600hps on 25% and my 300 mars hydro on the side. Although I leave my stretching just flipped into 12/12 plants away from the strongest rays of sunlight for the buds that are finishing up the last 3 weeks. I will admit it gets hot tho, my hps that is. My budget setup is something like this, the spectrum they give off to me seem very similar from any brand, that’s just me tho. Good luck everyone.

15. >>

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'm just trying to give good advise. The title of this thread is. Tips on how to maximize yield in a 4x4. That's why I'm not giving easy budget advise.

When you build a commercially approved UL listed light fixture that comes assembled like the mars300w. You build it once 5-6 years ago. It gets approved by underwriters labs and goes to market. You can't later update the design and not pay to get it certified again. The 300w mars light is a series one model. They are like 4 generations of lights removed from that old outdated thing. If you buy one you're buying circa 2012 led grow light tech. The efficiency of output in the diodes has went up dramatically over the years. Not only that but the 300w was a learning lesson for mars. They didn't build it with reliable enough parts and many did break down which they had to fix. Because of that the newer lights have more reliable drivers and diodes. The eco49 is lower power draw then the 300w but puts out significantly more light. It's diodes are from 2017.

If you want to maximize yield you won't want to run Chinese made lights. Cree, Samsung, Citizen, Bridgelux, ect make the best LEDs. Meanwell makes the best drivers. The Chinese made stuff is a little behind right now. They play budget copy cat and don't really innovate much.

17. Mars knows this. That's why they made the mars cob. It uses a cree cob and a meanwell driver.

18. Thank you good sir one more question which led setup would be ideal for a 4x4 grow tent I'm not trying to spend a fortune my budget is around $300 for lights

19. If there was boards available in 3k you could get close to that budget number with 8 of these boards and a 480 watt 24volt power supply.
    www.amazon.com/4x-QB120-Quantum-Boards-5000K/dp/B079QKFSF6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528846193&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=qb132+quantum+board

They're only available in 5K right now though which is a veg only spectrum. $300 is a tight budget for a light setup in a 4x4 with led. You should realize that depending on where you're at spending $750 on the lights would most likely easily grow you $450 more worth of bud compared to that $300 light setup first crop. Without a doubt.

This is what you really want for your 4x4. Just pawn something. You'll have plenty of bud in about 4 months if you know what you're doing at all.
    Horticulture Lighting Group HLG-600H Quantum Board LED Kit V2

[​IMG]

You can game the system a little if you can do some splicing of wire. Buy two of these. They don't come with power supplies. QB288 with Slate 2 Double Combo

Wire all 4 of those boards in series with this driver. https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-480h-c2100a/mean-well-enterprises

If you did that you would have about an equal fixture to the HLG550 for significantly less money.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TBone is right. As usual. !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1