Tips for starting seeds

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gregmagnu, Sep 20, 2012.

1. I have 3 auto mazar inbound to my house I'm planting them in 5 gal pots start to finish. I know that its good to start in small pots, but these are auto flowers and i hear it good to start with the same pot you finish in. I have Roots organic soil that I'm going to put on the bottom of the smart pot and i have light warrior seed starter soil witch i plan on putting on the top of the smart pots so the seeds can have a good beginning. And some easy tips on germinating would be appreciated. Also when should i put my oscillating fan on the seed;ing, right away? Also how long will germinating take? I was thinking put the 3 seeds in a cup of water for 24 hours. Last time i germinated a seed for fun like this the seed just popped a little bit, is this enough to plant the seed? Or is there a better way to germinate then the way i wrote? Thanks for your tips i start the grow once i get my seeds and i still need to know some basic stuff.

2. Germinating is easy. Shot glass for 24 hours in a dark place then after 24 hours regardless of how they look dump them on a towel in a sealable container with a paper towel in it. Fold paper towel. Seal container then put container in a dark place. After another 24-36 hours usually for myself tap roots popping out.

Photo or Auto I always plant straight in the final resting spot. I never bother with transplanting. Always turns out well.

You will find germinating is easy. So fast its over before you know it. Nothing to sweat ot fret about.

While you wait for your seeds read the stickies at the top of the forums, google some grow guides and pick up a Cannabis grow book like Cannabis Grow Bible. If you have a Tablet or smart phone you can buy it for 9.99.

3. I already got some good grow books but thanks for the great info.

4. Stick it in the soil, wait for it to pop, never failed me yet.

5. Sounds good but does it take a lot longer?

6. Every method takes about the same time. Planting it deep like 1/2 inch or more will make the seed take longer to pop so plant it abotu 1/4 of a inch.

The whole thing is fast man and in like 2 weeks if you have a powerufll enough light your plant will be very big. Heres a pic of one of my plants on like day 14

[​IMG]

7. Shot glass, in water, dark place for 24 hours. If seed hasn't sunken, give it a little love tap and it should. Check back in another day or 2 and take out your seed that should have a tap root. Put your pinky into the soil only as deep as your first knuckle and plant your seed (referably root down but it will fix itself if you don't).

8. [quote name='"gregmagnu"']
    Sounds good but does it take a lot longer?[/quote]

Umm no, 2-3 days, and what's the race, just plant the seed and wait for it to come on up, this is how they've been growing unassisted for how long.

9. Sounds good but when i put them in there in the 5 gal smart pots, If i compare watering in plastic water bottles how much would you say i should water it and how often range would you say i should water it. And should i put my oscillating fan on the seeds right when i place them in the soil? And thanks for the advice i think I'm going to do it this way.

10. If your using smart pots make sure you have a caddy to put under them. They hold water for a long time. You should have a fan on them to help evaporate them.

Watering is easy use the pick up method. Pick it up its heavy dont water, pick it up its light water...let it dry out inbetween waterings.

Theres no set sced you should have for water...go by weight.

11. Hey, sound good but what do you mean by caddy?Did you mean a dish? I was thinking a dish, will that be fine?

12. No you dont want that. Fill one up with soil and water and you will see. Its why I threw out my Smart pots and went with Airpots. I hated them. The water accumlates at the bottom and should you have your pot on the ground of your tent well 1st it will be all wet but it never will dry and youll have a nice pot of mold. Even after like a day there was still water in the bottoms of my smart pots.

I got these to get airflow under them. You can buy them at Walmart.

[​IMG]

13. Looks good, If i get these under my smart pots on a dish will i be good? And do you know what they are called? If you don't i should be able to find them in the garden center of wall mart?

14. There called plant caddies. You should be able to find them easy. Alot of people use them I guess.

You should be good just make sure you have lots of airflow at ground level. Maybe a smaller stationary fan that blows air around.

I had airpots and bought only 2 smart pots to try them out.

15. #16 gregmagnu, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    And are plant caddies expensive?