Tips curling down help please?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by actont2001, Jan 12, 2013.

1. #1 actont2001, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
    Okay, Here is my setup to start off with;

- Aerogarden 7 Hydroponics sytem
    - (2) 6500k bulbs that came with the Aerogarden (on top).
    - (2) 6500k Cfl's 75w (on sides)
    - Air pump with Air stone
    - Current PPM is 630
    - Current PH is 5.5
    - Temperature is PERFECT (70 Degrees)
    - Lights are about 3 inches away from plants

My problem is, the leaf tips are curling down , and older leaves turning "rusty" near the tips.
    I read and read and discovered it may be a MG deficiency. I flushed the reservoir last night and added 39ppm MG and .51 Sulfur from "botanicare sweet" to my 1 Gallon reservoir. I also added some Aerogardn Nutes (10 ml) and adjusted PH level back to 5.5 before adding it into the reservoir...still PPM reads 630. (so no big deal there). Before this a couple leaves were "cupping" upwards (this part has been resolved). After 1 day..everything looks the same, so I foliar fed the plants with some Epsom salt (1 tsp to 1 gallon Of water) this morning. Am I doing this correct?, or just worrying to much?..pics of plants below..they are 21 days old AK-47. Roots have no sign of anything wrong..and there is NO bugs. Please help if you can.
    [​IMG]

2. Sounds like nute burn to me so you did right with flushing, ppm sounds strong. How old are they.

I cant see the pic but leaf tips going brown is usally a sign of burn.

3. sorry they are 21 days old..was told during that age to keep ppm between 450-700 on another forum.

4. I see the pic now, they are more curling down than burnt. Could be over watering or PH could be raised. I haven't used areogardens so i dont know how they work, im guessing its like DWC.

5. Don't think you can over water in the aerogarden as it has set timers for the drip pump, and it turns on and off on its own (I have no control over that)...(I may be wrong). But "drip" system pump stays on for 18 hours then off for 6" (as well as the lights)

6. Also, the "brown leaves" at the bottom were an early mistake (no big deal now)..was told by another forum (AHEM..Rollitup.com sucks ass) not to add any nutes until 3rd week..which was a HUGE mistake..almost killed them all right from the start.

7. If I kept my lights on 24/7 until Veg, do you think it would absorb the unused moisture in the leaves and help them out?
    Not sure if a hydro setup can "overwater"..but then again..am new to this..so I have no clue.

8. I do hydro but i dont know how those things work. I dont think leaving the light on will make a difference. How high can the light go cos they will at least double in height when you flower.

9. Its pretty Pathetic..Light only goes about 2' (apparently not made for growing "good Veggies")..but thinking when they get bigger..will just take the light ballast off that came with the system and hang some CFL's over them.. I have a lot of lights ready to go.

10. PH is too low, and lights are too close, in my hydro systems I keep PH at 5.8 - 6.3. I think thats why you are getting crinkled leaves at the top.

11. Other than that they dont look too bad, i cant see what else it could be. Hydro nutes usually come in A&B so to get a deficiency is hard, esp if your reservoir is monitored

12. will raise it up a bit tonight (PH) and see if it makes a difference..dont think lights are too close however as CFL's do not get hot enough to burn. I adjust them daily...and usually keep them about 3" above as I have read from the "grow bible"...I tested the temp above the plants from the lights at 3"..and no way it is burning them...but will try and see. Thank You for helping.

13. Well, Well, Well... Just went to adjust the PH as you mentioned, and the leaves are coming back from "sagging" from this morning. Seriously musta been a Mg deficiency as the Epsom salt worked wonders in a matter of hours.

14. You could be right, i dont ever get dificiencys with hydro nutes. I would still raise your PH though mate, its on the low side.