Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tincture!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by ryan juler, Dec 9, 2011.

1. do you really need to decarb your buds before putting them into your tincture mixture? has anyone successfully made a tincture without this step? does it decrease the potency?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. decarbing your buds before cooking makes edibles and tinctures so much more potent. do it. you dont have to but, along with plenty of vets im sure, i highly recommend it. 20 minutes at a low heat double wrapped in foil will do you just fine.

3. as far as i understand decarb converts THCA to THC by removing the A or Acid from the molecule.
    W/o decarb, as i get it, you won't feel any THC effects.

4. Missed him by 12 years

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. it's the GC time machine. or, i got stoned and i missed it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was zombie resurrecting fiend when I got here
    If the thread was dead more than 10 years I replied to it
    Good thing people couldn't reach through the screen and slap me!

7. I have questioned this myself and 98% of what I've read says yes you should.,I've done a few batches without decarbing and been plenty happy with them.,.But.,My bud was 2yrs. old and could have decarbed itself.,
    I do decarb now because it isn't really a big deal.,40minutes @ 240°.,This has worked well for me with my current recipe for tincture.,Good luck.,

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 jodo, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Read Red Dirt Marijuana, and it says something about smoking raw off of the plant is too high or something's not right with the high, that you have to dry it or cure it first. I don't remember, it's been 50 years since i read that. I just wonder if that's got something to do with decarbing. I should look that up again.
    Edit: I looked it up and didn't see what I thought i read many years ago.

9. I used to Decarb the material before putting it into ethanol for extraction. It works. But IMO I got better results with starting with not decarbed material and decarbing the final oil (rso/feco). Simple steps will be like:
    1. Mix your material with alcohol (iso/grain alcohol) - just enough to cover the material and shake for 3-4 mins.
    2. Strain the alcohol through a coffee filter and collect it in a metal dish. Add 1 cup of water and a little bit of salt to it.
    3. Put on a hot oil bath and wait till all the alcohol is gone - the water in the dish will remain. You can measure the temp with a candy thermometer. Once the water gets 100C alcohol is completely gone.
    4. Put the metal dish with water in ice bath - add ice to the dish. Wait until it cools off below 10C and dump the water. The RSO/FECO will stick to the dish. Wash the oil and the dish once more with ice cold water.
    5. Add grain alcohol to the dish with the oil and put it back to the hot oil bath - just to melt the oil and dissolve it in the grain alcohol. Add just enough to melt the oil - you won’t need much. Once the oil is melted and dissolved in the ethanol, put the dish back in ice bath for 10-15mins. You will see a small layer of waxes.
    6. Take a paper napkin filter and strain the alcohol through it to filter the waxes.
    7. Put the filtered alcohol back in the metal dish and put it on hot oil bath on 120C / 250 F. Wait until all the alcohol is evaporated. Take a small fork and stir through the oil - you will see it bubbling. Keep it on the hot oil bath until it stops bubbling when you stir it - a small bubbles will remain on top, but it won’t bubble anymore when you stir it. I don’t measure the time - I just wait until it stops bubbling when I stir. Roughly it will take about 20-30 mins depending on your start material.
    8. Take the dish out and wait 2-3 minutes until it’s not too hot to touch. Add the amount of grain alcohol you want to use for your tincture and stir until all the oil is dissolved and you are ready.

Using this method IMO your tincture will be more potent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. What we really need is a method to test the potency of the different extraction processes
    What process a person chooses is usually based on what is available to them

• Agree Agree x 3