Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tincture Teeth Other Questions

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by GratefulShakes, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Hi All GrassCity Edible Medible Fans,

My name's Shakes, new to the forum and a medical MJ patient. Nice to e-meet you all! :wave:  Recently, I got my cards and have transitioned from purely recreational use to medical use (hope to replace or even eliminate pharmaceuticals).I have been using an everclear based alcohol tincture made with the sit/shake method for about a month. A friend makes it for me, but I'd like to learn to make my own soon. Using the tincture, has made me have some edibles based questions,

I am hoping some of you maybe offer insight.  :)

*Do you notice that tincture use can stain your lower teeth? Any solutions for this?
    *Taking it sublingually burns, which doesn't bother me too much-but, after doing it repeatedly the underside of your tongue starts to feel all seared.. Anything to be done? 
    *How do you find out the medical dosages for certain health conditions? 
    *Anyone have information on using edibles to control seizures? I've read about the Charlotte's Web strain, CBD research, Epilepsy Foundation's call to research it...looking for info on how to actually use it/replace pharmaceuticals.
    *Does a person's body weight affect edible dosage (similar to alcohol)?
    *What are the best methods for using mj coconut oil? Edible, sublingual, capsule?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any info you can share. If a question has been answered elsewhere, please drop me a link. 

Peace,
    Shakes  :gc_rocks:

Howdy, Shakes. Welcome to GrassCity. 

I'll try to help you with some of those questions to the best of my ability. So you've discovered Green Dragon. Welcome to the club. It can be some fantastic stuff once you learn some basics. Let's go in order from the top down.
    1) Staining - it sounds like your Dragon has a lot of chlorophyll from the "Sit" part of "sit/shake" method. Does it stain green? How much do you have to use sublingually for a dose? One way you can reduce the stain and still get the sublingual effects is to put your Dragon in a shot glass full of water and then swish it around in your mouth as long as you can before swallowing. No burn and no stain and fast results. 
    2) Medical doses - good luck! Trial and error unless you're fighting cancer. If it's something like seizures, you start out small and work your way either up or down (titration) until you find what works best for you. It's often just guesswork since there is no real research available, or even allowed, in most cases. 
    3) A high CBD strain like Harlequin, Charlotte's Web, Cannatonic and a few others seems to be ticket for seizures. If you have a need for both activated THC and CBD in higher levels, you could combine a full spectrum strain with the high CBD or use each separately. And again, dosing to replace your meds will be your decision, starting slow. Sometimes very little may be needed depending on the cause of the seizures. 
    4) Body weight could play a part with edibles but really shouldn't make any difference using a sublingual application.
    5) Use coconut oil any and every way you can. Edibles, capsules, topicals. It's great stuff when it comes to cannabis.

I hope these simple answers have helped. If you want to look into making your own, check out this thread, Dragon Lite. It's pretty easy and not a lot of reading.   :)

3. Scu

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. Hi PsychedelicSam! Thanks for the super helpful answers and kind welcome to the community.  :D

Yes, the tincture does stain green and it has a very plant like taste to it, so I am sure you are correct that the chlorophyll is the stain culprit. My friend is a grower, so she uses shake, trim and popcorn bud loaded up in a mason jar with everclear, then shakes it everyday for about a month. It is then strained through a coffee filter and put in amber tincture dropper bottles.

Is this an inefficient method? I would like to make my own using ABV matter, shake and stems because I'm a recycling kinda gal. Or would it be better to use that stuff for brownies? I'm clearly an edibles newbie-I'll take all the pointers I can get!

I use a spray bottle tincture for on the go (more discreet) and an eyedropper style one for at home. The sprayer I use 4 sprays, the dropper, I use about 1/3 of the dropper full. I'm definitely using the water swish method! I didn't realize that it would be absorbed by other parts of the mouth, beside under the tongue. 

Thanks for listing the CBD strains. I had only heard of Charlotte's Web and just the other day, read about Harlequinn on here. My caregiver grows a CBD strain for me, but I don't know what strain of mj the plant it. I will inquire next time he drops off my meds.

It's incredibly frustrating that due to the federal government's viewpoint on cannabis as a schedule 1 drug, there is no reliable research done on medical marijuana for treating specific health conditions. :confused: I read about another member her making a treatment journal for medical conditions and mj dosage/application and I intend to start one. If I discover anything useful to others, I'll post it up in the medical forum for sure. I guess we'll have to do our own research!!

I don't really know why it works, but I know it seems to be working for me! After a month on a consistent 3x a day tincture dose, using CBD strain daily for smokeables and switching from a dealer to a caregiver with the organic dank mj, I have been seizure free!  :hello: 
    All the fancy doctors in Boston, the medications, the therapy...none of that stuff worked and it cost me well over $30,000 in medical expenses in the last year. If it wasn't for my best friend who grows insisting I try the tincture and get my mmj card, I would still be having 2+ seizures tonic clonic a week and landing in the ER way too often for whacking my damn head on the ground from surprise seizure attacks. 

I would like to limit smoking for health reasons, but I'm hesitant about cooking with weed until I learn more. My experience is limited to making shitty brownies all full of plant matter. :lol: I'm learning to use a Volcano, so vaping and edibles may be the future. 

Thanks for the awesome info! 

It just goes to show that doctors don't know everything. I'm so glad you're having such success with the high CBD strain for your seizures. Please do keep a journal. There's not nearly enough real life information available yet but it seems that seizure relief may become one of the biggest medical stories connected to cannabis along with cancer remission. For a while yet it's going to depend on folks like you keeping journals since even if scientific studies were approved, it takes years to get any info. 

I wouldn't call that method of making tincture "inefficient" but it could be cleaned up more with a different way of doing it. If you decide to make something from that material you mentioned I suggest using it for edibles instead of your tincture since that is your medicine. I would and do use bud for my medical applications and use the other cuttings and leavings for my edibles. I want the highest quality I can get for the stuff I use for the serious stuff.

The spray bottle is a great idea for you because it does get all the oral tissue and not just sublingual. The cheeks and gums are just as absorptive as beneath the tongue and that is called "buccal" absorption and is also why the swish works. 

If you make a journal and post it in the medical forum, drop in a link here so we can follow along.  :)