Timer question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SantiagoDunbar420, Mar 14, 2017.

1. I'm just starting flowering on my second grow, on the first one I manually turned the lights on and off every day for two months. Real pain in the ass. My problem is that I've been told that the $20 timers you get on Amazon will at best stop working within a few months, at worst melt down or burn your house down. What I've been told by a few people is to go with the Intermatic t-103 mechanical timer, but if I understood my friend correctly I would have to pay an electrician to come into my house and wire that directly to my breaker, which as I live in a rental is not an option. Are there any other solutions? Something that can go between the timer and light perhaps to balance power surges? I have no electrical knowledge so I really have no idea what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help GC couldn't this without ya

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  2. Been using a mechanical timer from WalMart for 2 years and funny thing is it has yet to melt down nor has my house burned to the ground. Don't know who you got your advice from but maybe don't ask them anything else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dude either they clowning on you for being gullible, which you are from reading your post.

I have yet to see anyone house burn down due to timer. You have better luck with burning your house by plugging in your smart phone over a timer that goes on and off due to time setting.

99% of indoor grower for personal use, use those timer. The 1% has a expensive rig setup. If you have all extension plug use up, that is more of a risk for fire compare to a control timer unit.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  4. it depends on what you're running off of timer. I wouldn't run a 1000 watt ballast off one and it says not to right on the package. they make a ballast timer that plugs into a wall for that
    Titan Controls® Apollo® 4 - 120 Volt Ballast Timer | Sunlight Supply - Grow Lights, Indoor Gardening Supplies, Hydroponic

Do you want to be the one guy who's grow goes down because you used a cheap timer?
    Now, i f you're just running a t-5, then those timers are fine, probably even work for a 400 watt system.

• Like Like x 1
  5. These work fine. $5-10. Just make sure you get the three prong grounded one's.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  6. You get similar digital ones but a bit more expensive, I've always used the ole 24hr one x4, its a bit off a con if ask me, when they range from £10 -£160 odd, your going from single too multiple there, fire retaurd an all that, ones that price have the sockets built in, simple one like you've jus shown do me jus fine before

7. 600w hps and 2 mars 300led, should have mentioned that. Thanks for the heads up on the ballast timer

• Like Like x 1
  8. Make sure to have a surge protector for extra peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tho there have been cases of fires with timers it is un common. Usually due to overloading rather than just a common thing. Use common since. Honestly you can prob find one of these timers in every house. Not only for horticulture. Just by amercian no china shit with ni regs.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oh I'm not saying every timer will burst into flames haha, just that they have the possibility of that happening, so if there's an option specifically for high wattage lights I'd rather just invest a little more in that. My grow is an investment that I'll be getting returns on for years so I want to make sure I'm building a sturdy, long lasting setup.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yeah, most definitely mate!

12. For real!, the worrying a pain in the ass!, you get what you pay for, same as any shit in this day

13. I have been using the same timer you have there for over a year. And have had no problems at all. I'm not running HID lights just Leds. But know people you run HID with them, they just use better timers that are little more expensive. IMO you should be fine with that timer. I have timers running the outside lights on my house and never had any problems, so do your research when someone gives you information like rewiring your whole house that just sounds Crazy. Like mentioned don't ever take information from them again, because they don't have a clue!
    Good Luck

14. thats why its always better to take advice from many people and make your own decision. instead of listening to the advice of 1 person and going with it. your breaker would trip before any fire started with the timer. if a fire did start it would be from shitty wiring.

15. I just saw what appears to be the exact same Digital timer sold on Ama** for $15 + fgt...at Harb*****fgt tools for $10...Will be in the area and plan on getting a spare!

16. Your right on that one stay away from anything that comes from China! Because they use knock offs that I don't think it would be safe. Buy American!

17. Look into aquarium controllers...

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

18. That's what I was saying if he's asking about a timer. He's going to have to do his own research like everyone did when we first start growing. There's a lot of go websites out there one that I use to read and still do is groweedeasy. and your right you'll trip your circuit board unless your using way to many extension cords. I use surge protectors and I would just use one heavy gauge three prong extension cord for my set ups. And never had a problem or never tripped a circuit as of yet.

19. Yeah. Hell, I run my TV, Xbox, firestick, router, 2 laptops, and my grow lights/timer/fan and a few other things off the same outlet lol. Long as you don't go from small gauge wire to larger gauge you're good.