Time Is Winding Down

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bahookahjoe18, May 1, 2012.

1. Blades, Terence McKenna spits truth. Please take the time to listen to this video, and if you like it, listen to the rest. He knows what's up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJIiZA54OWY]Terence Mckenna - Alien Dreamtime Pt 5/5 - YouTube[/ame]

2. I definitely don't get it.

It seems more like a the a higherschooler's avant-garde music video.

3. Are potheads just obligated to like McKenna or something?

4. LOL...Haters will be haters just let them be..

We have free will, we either spread love or hate, its that simple.

Good post OP.
    :wave:
    Thank you.

5. So you equate criticism with hatred and reject on that principle?

How open-minded of you. :rolleyes:

The reality of that matter is that I don't give enough of a fuck to hate anything. But I admire your strength to ignore different opinions.

6. My ignorance? haha

The fact that your comment to this video was that it "seems more like a the a higherschooler's avant-garde music video", Shows both how wise and open minded you are... LOL

once again haters will be haters..

7. I didn't say ignorance :confused:

It does though... there is no clear thesis, the thoughts are disjointed and inexhaustive, the visual are reminiscent of an early 80's MTV aesthetic, and the audio is just... just terrible.

Commenting on low production values doesn't at all address the content of the ideas; but there is an element of juxtaposition in my comment and with that there an underlying thought process that goes with it.

And binary thought invites false-dichotomies which miss the nuances of philosophy. But of course, I'm just a silly interlocutor... what good could possibly come of an open discourse?

Your dismissal seems to be completely antithetical to McKenna's critical theory approach. Regurgitating is not the same as learning, dude. ;)

8. #8 esseff, May 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
    Sam's entitled to express a differing opinion without being labelled a hater.

I don't agree with his view on the video, but if it's what he feels, giving it shouldn't cause a problem. No post need be taken personally, even those that are personal. You don't like what someone says, don't carry on reading it, just move on.

9. It's almost like we're looking for reasons to take offence, as if people have a certain trigger that pushes a button, and once pushed, the ego automatically steps up and is ready to score points from the 'conflict' in order to feel superior. Isn't this what animals do to ensure their territory and their control over it remains intact?

10. sam just ran literary circles around you lololol

11. This thread is why I have stopped trying to talk to people on Grasscity

12. We don't have free will, our actions are determined by nuerons in our brain, love and hate are just subjective fantasies, and nobody really has any choice in their actions.

13. @sam

(my bad about the "ignorance" thing i was doing multiple things at once..)

All you are showing me is how judgemental you are and that you REALLY get something out of your internet ego trips.

&I havent regurgitated shit "dude... lol where did that come from?..

Hes a brilliant man, If you have a problem with what he says than be mature and take time to quote what you do not agree with and state your theory, otherwise you discrediting the whole thing because it seems to you like "discourse" and a "higherschooler's avant-garde music video", makes you seem like a child.

What I intended by my first comment was that there is a two way street. You can either hate or love. You chose hate because you did NOTHING to better this world with your comment. If you would have been mature and dealt with your disagreements is a mature way that could have been love..

14. What is the point of a forum on philosophy if all we are going to do is hold hands and sing hakuna matata together? I think it is mistake to assume that you cannot have a disscussion with someone that doesnt share your common language or your common assumptions. Discussions where there is a keen open-minded understanding to learn from one another are more fruitful than one where both partners share the same sentiment. If people stop being so damn righteous about defending their lack of ignorance, or what they hold to be true, and instead focus and what is being said maybe then we'll be able to share our insights along with the criticisms that follow.

There are serious issues in the world right now and hundreds of millions are suffering because of them. And as pleasant as it may be to think that if we all buckle down and focus our energies into an infinite flow of love, it just isn't going to bring us any closer to alleviate the claims of the suffering here and now. An ideal of happiness that may never be realized is not worth the shortcoming of an entire generation.

15. Even outside of the context of this thread (and this forum), this is a pretty damn cool thing to say, esseff.

I appreciate your contributions.:smoke:

Yeah, and we all do at times, myself included. I think it also has to do with how we relate ideas and incorporate these ideas into our identity. When we do that, it can feel like a personal attack on our identity when somebody questions or critiques an idea we feel strongly about.

So another way to put it, is that our ego derives some level of definition from learning experiences - a sort of intellectual territory that becomes threatened?

Did we just agree? Did that just happen??

16. :)

It certainly gave the illusion of happening. Reality is all in the perception though. See what happens next time. ;)