Time and Energy

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by skippwhy, Jan 20, 2010.

1. My current understanding of string theory includes the idea that empty space (the 3rd dimension) is made of energy strings, just like matter. Not sure whether or not this is correct, however. Does it follow, then, that time (the 4th dimension) would be composed of energy? It makes sense to me that it would. Just curious to hear others' oppinions.

2. #2 philan, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
    What is time really?

--"This is like an airlock..." "It is an airlock"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYmdgHyCF_Q&feature=PlayList&p=ACC16BC09031C4EE&index=0&playnext=1"]YouTube- 1of5 -- Brian Cox - What is Time[/ame]

3. progression is different than this "time" in my opinion, so what is really time?

4. #4 philan, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2010
    Exactly. We tend to picture Time as a linear function, because that's how we experience it...but it's not a linear function at all. It's much, much, more complicated. Your observation of time, is merely relative to your position and how you're viewing it. Illusions run deep in this world.

To fully understand time is almost incomprehensible to me. It can change to the point of a standstill from one observer, yet maintain linear behavior to another, and accelerate to yet another. It's much more complicated than a first thought gives credit to.

5. Here's my current view of time.

In the same way that all points exist on a line, all lines exist in a plane, and all planes exist in a space; all spaces exist in a time. Time expands infinintly in all spacial directions, in addition to one that's uncomprehensible to humans. The fourth direction represents the "flow" of time.

I may have trouble articulating this next part, so please bear with me.

As you move in this fourth direction, spaces transition, one at a time, each one different than the previous. Time is essentially like a roll of film. Each frame on this film is like a space in time. As you progress change occurs; energy flows.

Hope this makes as much sense to you as it does to me.

6. I think I've seen it while shroomin before. it was like a tunnel I went through comprised of freeze frames of what one sees. as time progressed, the frames got smaller and kind of evaporated. the tunnel had turns in it, too.

7. Here is string theory presented in an interesting format. Perhaps this will further the discussion.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtdE662eY_M]YouTube - Brian Greene: The universe on a string[/ame]