Thrips

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Eagleyedye, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Just found a few on my plant. Got it as a clone. I thought somrthing was wrong when found some stipling and spots. I treated it 3 times with nuke em foliar spray and thought i got rid of problem. Just found 3 of these little guys. Caught one and got a few pics under scope. Its a Thrip. So treated with a good dose of Azamax. Hope it works. Its not bad now so glad i caught it. Id be up gor hearing how you guys have delt eith thrips. Here is a few pics under 80X scope IMG_8414.JPG IMG_8416.JPG

Eagleyedye

2. I just squish them as I see them and rely on my regular sprays and beneficial predators to keep them in check (I have plenty of ladybugs and lacewing residents).

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

3. So the ladybugs and lacewing bugs stay? I have worried I'd buy them and they would just bounce. I do like the idea tho. And the thrips are not terribly hard to spot. They are small but really dark in color so the contrast gives them away. Thanks for the reply man!!!

Eagleyedye

4. I grow outdoors and since there are plenty of neighbors with gardens there must be enough of a source of food for them to naturally hang around. I don't have them in the concentrations I desire, but there's a natural balance.
    If I bought bugs, I'd look into companion plants that naturally attract the predators I'm buying and the prey they hunt - that would help them stay.
    Irie vibes!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cool. I have a huge hydrangeas right by deck where plants live. I believe that hydrangea has all sorts of insects. I think I'll try getting some. Thanks brother!

Eagleyedye

6. Ya dudes, keep the chemicals off the plants and you’ll end up with native predators showing up, for free! Most common thrips predator to show up will probably be Orius, a black bug.
    If you still have an issue I recommend some Stratiolaelaps scimitus for the soil which feeds on pupating thrips (as well as a ton of other soil pests) and Neoseiulus cucumber is mites for the foliage, which literally bite the heads of thrips instars as they emerge.
    Sticky traps work well for the adults.. They’re poor flyers so hang them down around pot level or near the bottom leaves.
    But don’t buy ladybugs or lacewings. The native ones will show up for free. Ladybugs you buy are actually harvested in the wild which is detrimental to their species, and depending where you are, they’ll fly away in the direction of home as soon as they’re able to, if they’re still healthy enough.
    Lacewings are fairly useless, but if you do insist on buying them, go for Brown Lacewings, which feed as larvae and adults. Green Lacewimf adults only go after pollen.