Thoughts/opinions First timer.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by greensmoke902, Dec 15, 2018.

1. 5 week old "white cookies" by crop kings, only been under the hlg 2 260s for last 2 weeks.
    One on the left seemed to top itself out of the seed and the second I fimmed about 5 days ago and seeing alot of extra shoots devolving.
    A friend's live soil on the bottom 1/4 of the pot with promix. Feeding water p.h'ed at 5.8-6.2.
    Fan not seen in photo blowing on the plants lightly. Exhaust system is in the works.
    Should I begin with nutes ? Or is that not a good idea with live soil?
    Any suggestions ? Am I on the right path ?

20181215_164544.jpg 20181215_164459.jpg 20181215_164510.jpg 20181215_164524.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  2. PH to low for dirt. Might be why they have spots on the bottom leaves and a bit short Ph chart.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. That's great info, I'll be sure to adjust immediately. Thanks for the chart aswell.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Definitely bump up your ph a bit. Why didn't you just mix the medium instead of having your good stuff concentrated on the bottom?

5. Was a suggestion from said friend. I went with his advise...I trusted him based the results I've seen from him. Suppose it would have made more sense for sure.

6. If it gives results then go for it. I was just curious.

7. It’s super common with super soils to put them on the bottom half of the pot. It generally allows the plant to use what’s in the top layer and make it through grows without nutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. So from what I gather nutes won't be necessary just stick with water unless transplanted to bigger pots? Or until plants shows signs of deficiency?

9. you need Cal/mag supplement.

10. Do you have any idea what’s in the top 3/4 of soil?

11. Yes. I used just regular promix the stuff with the tomato on the bag and added perlite. That's it.

12. I’m not too familiar with pro mix. I don’t believe it has any nutrients.

So the idea of having the super soil at the bottom is for starting seedlings in that same pot. You’ve already got an established plant. I would have mixed the medium because your plants at a stage in which it has began needing nutrients which aren’t available in the top portion of the soil.

When you start a seedling in a pot with the super soil as a bottom layer what happens is the tap root travels downward. Surviving on the nutrients it has from the cotyledon. This keeps the seedlings from burning. Once the tap root hits that bottom layer it’s normally at the stage in which it now needs food. Which it has in the bottom of the pot.

So for plants that are established like the one above it can be put into a mixed medium as opposed to layered.

If this were me. I’d repot into a mixed medium. Also need to either feed with a cal mag supplement or you can add dolomite lime into the mixed medium before potting and it will take care of the plants cal mag needs.

Good luck!

13. Yea no nutes in the pro mix. Okay I understand what your saying and makes sense really.
    I did message the fellas I got the soil from and he did mention it had crab shell and azomite for calcium and magnese but it still doesn't change the fact is all at the bottom vrs throughout the soil.
    Appreciate your response.
    Thanks for your time.

14. If you use a liquid cal mag supplement it may have enough N to get your roots to super soil. But I’m not sure that’s a complete guess. That’s why I suggested repotting to a mixed medium.

Hope this helps man!

15. I should have added I started the seeds in Solo cups until the root system filled the cup, when I transplanted to these 1 gallon pots they did have a large roots system and I used a solo cup to leave an impression in the dirt when transplanting so the super soil is probably only at most 3-5' away from the roots initially. That was Dec 2.

16. What strength nutes do u use? I was getting same stuff using halfosh strength. It started after 12/13 switch. Went to full strength. It stopped

17. Only water this far. Live soil bottom 1/4 of pot.
    I wasn't necessary having any problems to my knowledge was more or less just wondering if a more experienced eye saw potential issues arrising. I do suspect at some point I had caused them to have stunted growth. Likely due to over watering.

18. I believe the brand I have is botanicare

But any cal mag supplement would work. I start at 1/4-1/2 strength and generally never take it above 1/2 strength. But I feed with tap water so my water already has trace amounts of CAL And MAG. My tap is lower in the MAG so it’s really mag issues I see later on as opposed to calcium issues.

• Like Like x 1