Thoughts on the supercharged version of the pontiac grand prix

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by brett119, Nov 16, 2013.

1. I'm looking on getting another used car and I really like the Pontiac grand prix's. They offer a regular 3.8 v6, 3.8 supercharged v6 and a 5.3 v8. I really like the mpg figures of the charged one....18 city 27 hwy. Can anybody tell me how reliable this motor is? I do quite a bit of driving 30-40k a year. I take good care of my vehicles. My 01 sonata has 201k on it and still purrs like new, doesn't leak or burn oil. If you guys think the v8 will be more reliable I will go with that. I'm pretty set on the 4 door grand prix. I have a smaller car already so I want a bigger one with some balls. Not to mention there more comfy on long trips

2. Honestly, from what I've read online (I thought about getting one of these at one point so I did a lot of research), they're a very reliable engine. Many people run a smaller pulley (more boost) with no consequences, other than worn out tires.

I'm not a fan of fwd in general (especially in larger cars like that), but if you want a Grand Prix, go for it!

3. The 3.8 is bulletproof. Great engine.

4. Engine is great...car itself, absolute junk!

5. if built properly there bullet proof i know someone who builds motors for a living and they made 1200hp grand prix the thing was a beast

6. Fwd + a motor like that is going to make a ton of torque steer. Lot better cars out their.

7. In my opinion, the 3.8 is a very reliable motor. The super charger isn't really all that impressive, but it does make a noticeable difference. I wouldn't go out of my way to find a SC'd one, but I have nothing bad to say about it. Except that you do have to remove the motor mount to change the serpentine belt because on the supercharged model the belt goes around the motor mount. I always saw that as an added pain in the ass to a simple operation, and it makes quite a bit of difference in the labor if you pay a shop to do it.
    Correct oil and coolant, as well as intervals, is the secret to longevity. Overall, a decent platform if it's been took care of.

8. 1200 hp and fwd! nice! that sounds fun......smh...

9. haha nope totally custom, he made it rwd 

10. Interesting.........

11. I currently own an 06 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.8 v6. 188k miles if you were to drive it you'd never guess that high. great engine tho for real. plenty of horses. I kinda wish I had the supercharged model they look slightly different also dual exhaust on Super charged couple minor body differences. you can really make these cars look bad ass I just don't have the money to. I'm actually looking to trade it for another jeep tho