Thoughts on my tap water

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gotbluntz, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Tap water comes out around 80-150ppm and about 7ph without any treatment or letting it sitout for 24 hours. Would you use this water source??

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. #2 GoldGrower, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
    Yes without hesitation. Letting it sit for 24 hours to rid chlorine is worth doing if you use raw organic fertilisers, but if growing hydro or soilless. Or even soil with ready to go nutrients the chlorine won't hurt anything

3. Thanks man, sources of water can get expensive sometimes, will go ahead and start using this water for future grows. Cheers

4. Letting is sit out over night is always a good idea.  I store about 40-50 gallons at a time (I have a lot of thirsty girls) and I leave it sitting out for two reasons.  First to let any residual chemicals that I don't know about (if any) evaporate.  Secondly, you want the water to be at room temp when you use it.  If it is too cold, you will shock the roots.  

Mine comes out a 7PH also, but I do PH it down to 6 as my soil runs a little high and when I feed, I need it to be around 5.5 so it balances out.  

5. thanks for the input man seems like we have a similar water source on tap. Gonna make the switch thanks to both of you for the input again

6. The chlorine from my tap leaves a funky flavor to my weed, but I smoke that shit anyway.

7. Sounds good what are you guys using as a medium, soil? Coco?

8. As long as you are not using water softener you may not have to flush unless it makes you feel better about the end product. http://srwqis.tamu.edu/media/2240/hairston.pdf

I use an organic mix of moss peat, horse manure, worm castings, lime, and perlite. I also grow in DWC hydro with growth technology's ionic nutrients 

10. Maybe I just lived in areas with terrible water quality(actually I know I have lived only in areas with water I wouldn't give to my enemies to drink, but that's how I feel about most water with fluoride .) I've never been able to use the tap water unfiltered. I just had such better results since switching to RO water. If you don't have the money for your own filter, and you garden is 20 or less plants altogether. It could be worth it to just grab 3-5 gallons at a time from a grocery store with the self service water .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Mine is fucking 600ppm! Needless to say I don't drink that anymore. Lol. Stick to reverse osmosis water.

12. Thank god someone else said something. I was starting to feel like a pot snob lol.. Not only that but cannabis is a lot like rice, it will absorb everything in the grow medium!!! And stores and accumulates toxins and chemicals... Just something to think about...

13. What is it that concerns you about fluoride? http://www.cdc.gov/fluoridation/benefits/index.htm#reviews

14. #16 Give me wings, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    It is great for teeth ! Just one of the worse poisons known to man...it is considered toxic waste. Calcifies certain important glands in the body , and test are showing significant damage to the brain from exposure to fluoride over many years. Don't just trust the few organizations that promote it. Do the research your self.

15. that and some municipalities adore using chloramines. Very shitty and most will tell you......"its in such minute amounts in the water system theres no way it effects plants." well unforunatley ive worked with the university of Vermont  and ive found that its very detrimental to plant growth then I did a comparison grow side by side with municipal water with only chlorine and that was left out to evap for 24-48 hours. then the chloramines municipal water run through activated charcoal filter only. Horrid growth on chloramines water....imho its to be avoided at all costs. just my 2 cents.

16. #18 ProGMOII, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    Fluoride is an essential nutrient. It also occurs from leeching out of natures own, LOL! As a matter of fact, if you have high fluoride levels it is likely due to a poor city or community water system, which is rare and enforceable to the EPA to correct. the Flourides are leaking from nature into your system.

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=5776&page=1

Seems like a lot of ignorance makes us easy victims for peoples' political or environmental agendas. Make yourself informed and it is quite liberating when you are in control of what you think.

17. Let the thread know what it is your adding to your r/o water to replace the trace elemnets the process of r/o removes please?

18. I have to use more micro nutrients with r/o water. I use almost the full botanicare line. But to be honest I do add another brand of micro nutrients that has : boron,cobalt,iron,zinc ect.