Thoughts on my new laptop?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by glazedKnuckles, May 23, 2012.

1. Hey yall, I'm wondering what the general thoughts on this laptop are, its pretty new and not in stores yet, so I can't find any reviews on it

HP Pavilion Dv7t-7000 Quad Edition
    -i7-3720qm Ivy Bridge 2.6ghz (up to 3.6ghz turbo)
    -Nvidia Geforce GT 650M w/2GB GDDR5 memory
    -8gb Ram
    -1tb 5400rpm HDD
    -32gb mSDD Hard drive acceleration
    -17.3 inch 1080p anti-glare LED Display
    -Blu Ray drive
    -Backlit Keyboard
    -Usb 3.0/2.0
    -Beats Audio w/built in subwoofer(lol)
    -Free shipping/Free 2 year warranty

Now here's the real kicker, the base price was $999. After upgrading the processor, graphics card, screen, and ram, it came out to about $1860.

Went online, found a coupon, and saved $582 :)) so the total was $1276.

Not bad right? The actual laptop, from videos and pictures, looks pretty stunning...Ill definitely put up some pictures when it gets here.

2. Also, I should be able to play most games right? At least like GTA 4 and portal 2 on medium or so settings...

3. Should handle just fine. Probably could max out settings on both of those games.

4. Shit really? I've always heard bad things about gaming on laptops...good to know

5. Shameless self bump

6. Well I based my answer on specs. I've never owned a gaming laptop and wouldn't own one for gaming because frankly they pack everything in there so tight that heating is bound to be an issue and it's life isn't going to be as long as if you got a desktop. Battery life would be shit which takes away the whole point of a laptop in my opinion.
    I think you should of got an exceptional desktop build and saved five hundred dollars.

7. yeah i bought an hp dv7 with almost those specs... it went back 2 days later because half the screen went black. hopefully they fixed it on yours but lets hope =P. it handles games just fine though i played crysis warhead on both it and the toshiba i bought right after it which had a faulty motherboard for like 3 months and i would have to buy one in the 3 months they were messing up. had to send that crap back too it wouldnt even turn on after a week =(. now ive had a mac for a year and a half and no problems. i miss windows though.

8. You could dual boot using boot camp.

9. [quote name='"KiefCoveredLips"']Well I based my answer on specs. I've never owned a gaming laptop and wouldn't own one for gaming because frankly they pack everything in there so tight that heating is bound to be an issue and it's life isn't going to be as long as if you got a desktop. Battery life would be shit which takes away the whole point of a laptop in my opinion.
    I think you should of got an exceptional desktop build and saved five hundred dollars.[/quote]

Well I didn't buy it as a gaming computer, it'll be my only one. I do eventually want a gaming rig, but for now I need something at least somewhat portable. I mostly game on xbox, but I like the idea of modding and dx11.

You'd be surprised on the battery life, without gaming its around 5 hours with the standard 6-cell battery, and I upgraded to the 9-cell. Gaming without being plugged in is choppy anyway

10. I still would of gone desktop. You not buying it to game threw me off because of the 2gb graphics card. :p

11. #11 glazedKnuckles, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
    [quote name='"KiefCoveredLips"']

I still would of gone desktop. You not buying it to game threw me off because of the 2gb graphics card. :p[/quote]

It wasn't the main purpose, but I only had one chance to do it, with no future upgrades. Might as well

Also, is 2gb a lot as far as graphics cards go?

12. HP usually have sensitive keys that tend to fall off in my experience. Just something to look out for.

13. [quote name='"Vanuzzaud"']HP usually have sensitive keys that tend to fall off in my experience. Just something to look out for.[/quote]

For sure, ill look out for that.

I do hear a lot of bad about hp, I've already experienced that while placing my order. Got canceled 3 times before it finally went through

14. Well a lot of people still run 1gb cards with no problems. 2gb is top of the line. Exceptional graphics card. I'm not a fan of nvidia but it's still beast.

15. All the HP's I've dealt with or owned have had crap build quality. Even has driven me to go Apple next time around. :S

16. [quote name='"X24"']All the HP's I've dealt with or owned have had crap build quality. Even has driven me to go Apple next time around. :S[/quote]

I don't think anything will be bad enough to drive me to a macbook, though their build quality is outstanding...that's about all they have going for them.

Not that that matters, I already bought it.

17. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

My last lappy, an HP just oozed poor build. Hinges were loose, headphone jack was improperly shielded, track pad wasn't even. Sent it back and they tried fixing the hinges to no avail, mostly fixed the track pad.

I finally got tired of all the small details that were overlooked, and decided I'm picking up a new MBP whenever they get released.

Different stroke for different folks though ;)

18. I'll definitely keep a lookout, I hope the warranty covers stuff like that

19. They do, and HP is pretty decent with working with you if you do have any issues.

20. For sure, anyone else? You guys already reassured me, I just don't know how long these specs will stay relevant. I know cell phones, tvs, video games, but not computers