Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Thoughts on insect frass?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Mauwie420Wauwie, Jun 26, 2019.

1. I plan on starting up another 120 autos soon and for some reason the bugs around here really went for my autos I have now and all my photo periods are barley touched besides 2. Someone said it's supposed to help aid in the defense against insects and i got then bad by the creek and that's where my girls are at now since it's way sunnier. On a side note my autos (that I moved into more sun) looked a little burnt from the sun, is that because they're flowering and are more fragile?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Insect frass is definitely beneficial to a plant's immune system, but it's more of a longer term beneficial agent, rather than an immediate pest control. If you're dealing with pests now, I'd also consider a neem or karanja oil foliar, a Method 1 pps foliar, or predatory bugs. Evergreen Growers Supply is a great source for predatory bugs -you search by the pest you're dealing with to find its predator.

The KIS Organics podcast is a great resource. They had a guest on who spoke about insect frass: "...they found this chitinase producing bacteria that what if you're using shrimp meal, crap meal or insect meal or anything it's going to break down those chitin into a oligochitosan and oligochitosan can be set sensed by the plant and uptaken it going to trigger systemic acquired resistance that a plant immune system and the plant immune system itself some time to produce more secondary metabolites like cannabinoids and terpenes to prevent from an attack from insects."

The audio for this portion of the conversation begins around 45 minutes. I'd recommend giving it a listen. I use malted barley powder and crab meal in my mix and as a topdress to compliment the insect frass.

• Like Like x 6
  3. @baconman1945 Very interesting, do you know what episode this was in? I love his podcast as it's chock full of useful information. So is there a way to get insect frass without buying the bags or is that the only way currently? Also, what would the frass be constituted as? Compost? Amendments? Thank you a bunch!

• Like Like x 2
  4. I've just started using neem oil with biodegradable soap I've sprayed twice in a week seems to be working after the second dose I upped the dosage a little bit from what it says to use just a teaspoon or two and today i recieved some protekt i was going to add to the foliar sprays. I've never heard of karanja oil I'll have to check it out and cool site thanks for the share. I'll check out the podcast tonight for sure this organic stuff is more interesting than i first thought :love-m3j: how long is long term benefit? I could mix it with my medium before planting my autos if that makes a difference

• Like Like x 1
  5. Orange Oil and Garrett Juice. KISS

6. #6 baconman1945, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    Hey, Ancient, yep, you're welcome! It was in episode four. I linked it in the above post, and here is the URL: Cannabis Cultivation and Science Podcast Episode 4. I agree, Tad is a great host!

I source my insect frass from KIS since I live close enough to drop by the farm, but I'm certain you can buy it online -through KIS' website, for sure, and possibly elsewhere. Someone in the organic section on here posted something about farming their own insects to make their own homemade insect frass. They listed which type of insect they prefer and a few details about how they do it, but I forget whom it was... Maybe someone else can chime in.

I just added the frass to the mix; I don't actually substitute it for anything. I didn't look up application rates either, but I think I did about a cup per cubic foot of soil mix. For teas, I added a few tbsp, and for topdress, I wouldn't do more than sprinkle across the top of the soil. Just my 2¢ though

7. #7 baconman1945, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Nice, you're on the right track! I use protekt also. Karanja oil and neem oil come from different trees, but they serve similar insecticidal purposes. Their differences are more significant when it comes to alternate uses, such as medicine. The biggest thing to look for is pure and cold-pressed. Good luck!

edit: forgot to respond to part of your question. I love researching organics! It's an easy rabbit hole to spiral down for some folks!! And the changes brought about in your plants from insect frass being in your mix will benefit your plant for their whole lives, but it doesn't hurt to continue providing additional insect frass throughout their lifecycle. I included my usage rates in a comment above: I think I did about a cup per cubic foot of soil mix. For teas, I added a few tbsp, and for topdress, I wouldn't do more than sprinkle across the top of the soil.

8. @baconman1945 Thanks for the info man! I was unaware that KIS themselves were making an insect frass. I am ordering some as I type this haha. I plan to top dress my plants with a sprinkle as you suggested to keep the microbe level up in the soil.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey, Ancient, I remembered who I saw making their own insect frass! It's Prepper420! I quoted a great comment from his journal below, for your reference. He mentioned his black soldier fly farm and turning them into homemade insect frass. You could probably ask him for some suggestions or google for a tutorial if you're still curious to know what's involved in making your own, rather than purchasing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Damn I hope to achieve this level some day totally self sustaining very nice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Insect frass can also be made from mealworms. It's pretty simple all you really need is a couple shoeboxes, some grain and a slice of potato or carrot every once in a while to keep them watered. They are used as lizard food and a treat for chickens.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Thanks for the tip, RD! That's some good stuff to know! @Ancient3328

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Karanja is pretty much same as the neem but from what I hear if you don’t like smell of neem karanja might give less of an odor. I don’t mind neem smell so I’ve been using neem for couple years now. Used it to eliminate spider mites in conjunction with essential oils. Best is using weekly as preventative and mixing the neem meal into soil as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  14. I used to buy insect frasse but it’s expensive and I find you can get same benefits just using high quality EWC. I think Frasse has chitin that EWC might lack but if you’re using crustacean meal(I use lobster meal) then you’re getting plenty of chitin.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3