Thoughts on growing in perlite

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by starcecil, Feb 17, 2010.

1. #1 starcecil, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
    Nothing else. Treating it like a hand watered hydro and maybe adding some ewc teas to it on a regular basis. Has anyone else tried it?

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. I believe Hempy buckets perform in that manner.

3. Yeah look up hempy buckets. A mix of perlite and vermiculite is recommended but perlite alone should work fine (might have to water more often)

4. I would just be watering it like hydro then right? I know it tends to drain a lot quicker but I'm not really sure how often to water and feed it. Water everyday maybe no matter what and feed 2-3x a week at smaller amounts?

If I can get some calmag I was thinking about mixing 5050 with some coco but obviously that's a different story - Speaking of which they have these calcium magnesium pills at a super market... can those be broken down and dissolved or do those minerals work different?

5. #6 starcecil, Feb 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
    I was wondering what people thought about using ewc teas with perlite and a hempy bucket situation. Would it be worth it despite the water going through so quick? But on the flip side wouldn't it provide a lot of nutrients to the plant?

Im talking real simple EWC, 1 TBSP Mollasses, 4 gallons water, and I threw in a tbsp of dolomite lime in hopes of getting the plant some other nutrients. Bubble 1 day use immeadiatly. - Maybe I could just let it drain out, catch the residual and water with it once more? Idk just throwing ideas out there, im open to opinions

Has anyone considered chemical nutrients in a compost tea in hopes the organic microbes would break down the chemicals to something more suitable to the plants?

Err scratch the reusing, I should have plenty of tea to use