Thoughts on education?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Jonnyboy255, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Well... To start off, i will explain what is the point for this topic..... All through high school i havent been too eager about college... And its because of numerous reasons, mostly it is because i feel as though you dont need college to be "successful" or to become rich.. Although i dont plan on being rich because i like thinking realistically more.. I also dont want to be a young age and have a big debt that i will have to pay off... I havent done so well in high school and im about to graduate.. I just feel like their are other routes to go and college is not as necessary as people make it sound like... What are your opinions on this? I would like to see what you think. Thank you!

2. it sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #3 WeedMongerer, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    I went to college for IT, over rated for sure. I would have been better off just studying by myself, racking up IT ceritifcations, and working at an IT related job to start my career. Experience is all that matters for my field which I didnt have much coming out so it was tough right out of school for me. 

4. No, you don't need it to be successful. It really just depends on what you're wanting to do as a career though. For example, striving through grade school to get into an Ivy League school has its perks over a public college. 

It's not like the old days where a college education was rare and would get you somewhere.

5. #5 240sxLover, Feb 18, 2014
    Well, you could make 10/hour at steak and shake, but work will be a living hell, or you can make slightly more by getting a degree and teaching high school and being lazy as fuck. I know which way I'm going.

Plus, while in college 50% of your peers are retarded, the other 50% aren't, and you make friendships stronger than those in high school.

6. Eh. There are jobs that pay more that dont require a degree. Teaching high school and being lazy does sound like a good idea though. Lol

7. Sounds like a lotta fun to me. You can still have a sports car and such on a low pay (if what you consider a sports car is something fast and zippy, and not simply something expensive). And I DO NOT dig manual labor. So to me going through college is a necessity.

8. But is paying all that money for college just to be a high school teacher really necessary for you?

9. Yes, because he cant be a teacher without being educated..... plus teaching has its rewards besides money, if you hate your job money dosent mean much unless your really cleaning up 

10. I mean in my opinion I could teach it right now. But you know, the state doesn't agree. And if you go to a cheap enough state school, yes. Yes, I'd rather pay now than later.

11. Let's say that I make 33k for the rest of my life, a year. I spend about 12k a year on college for four years. I make all that money back, plus plenty more, and I get to just sit about and tell kids why they don't know everything yet. (or ever lol)

This is hypothetical, at the moment I'm a history major going nowhere lol.

12. #12 WeedMongerer, Feb 18, 2014
    Lol, nice choice though I liked history a lot. Shit's gonna be easy, be that teacher who uses the same test over and over and his students catch on and hold on to it to pass it on  

Just gotta develop a good plan and follow it ever year... im jealous kinda right now

13. #13 240sxLover, Feb 18, 2014
    I mean, the college part ain't super easy, I'm quitting pot as of right now solely because my work load is too much for me to be high all the time. But I'm really hoping being a teacher won't blow lol.

14. I'd say it really depends on what you want to do. If you want an inside job you probably want to go to college. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty experience will beat a degree most times. Work ethic is something that cannot be taught as well but imo is the most important thing you will need. If you go union you will b a journeyman at roughly the same time someone would have an AA and much more experience but again it depends on what you want to do.

15. Education good. Society and how school system works stupid...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. So long as you have a strong work ethic, you can do anything that doesn't require specific education. You can even become a lawyer in some states (I forget which) by working with a BAR certified lawyer for a period of time. A college education can really jump start a career though, and you may want to look into a community college which is far far cheaper.

17. I agree man, I finished school just having scraped a pass in all of my subjects, bearing in mind I was predicted A's and A*'s across the board I did pretty bad.. I left to do an apprenticeship in Network cabling and now I'm an IT Support Engineer in the biggest construction company in my area, I'm only 18, my friends are all at university in thousands of pounds of debt while I'm home driving a decent car, going to Amstersam this year, can buy weed when I want and I'm saving up for an apartment, fuck college.

18. I don't know where your from. But my state requires 2 periods of 3 week observation. I completed my first one in a middle school. I'm going for science. I absolutely loved it

You always come home with stories. The kids are always interesting. Never a dull day. But I will tell you grading takes A LOT of time. I was grading tests as kids were taking them. And yes it took me the whole day. That means if you have lesson plans to do and papers to grade and what not you can be putting id say 5 extra hours of work in a day. Thats why the summers off are lovely.

You gotta experience it to know whether your gonna like it or not. Just get good grades and be the best you can be. Try to get experience that will make you stand out. In college right now 95% of teaching majors are history or English. The other 5% are math and science. So finding a job is not going to be fun for those history and English people.

19. #19 Pokie, Feb 18, 2014
    Double post :[

20. Trade school? Electricians make bank.