thought

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by joe Biggs, Jul 15, 2008.

1. is thought considered energy, matter, non-matter, ect?
    if so why would it fall in that category?

is thought an absolute?
    or simply individually perceived?

2. electrical signals. do with that what you will

3. Thought is the concept of a process, which as stated above, is the patterned flow of electricity through the neurons in your brain. It can no more fit into any of those categories as the process of 'wrestling' can. Thought simply happens as a result of our brain's architecture.

4. b.) simply individually perceived

5. Greetings.

Cognition, Thought, Sentience, whatever you will call it is a conception, it's evaded a definitive definition because it is intangible. We know what is the primary cause of it, we have some idea of how it's aspects work.

As the field of neuroscience continues to grow and produce results, we understand the capacity our brains have for thought and cognition and what that all really means.

Yours Truly,
    Sam_Spade

6. pray tell,

what do you think is the "primary cause" of thought?

7. Greetings scoobydooby67,

The answer to your question; biology. ;)

Yours Truly,
    Sam_Spade

8. thats it?

thats like saying,

"what do you think obama will do if he is elected?"

the answer to your question; politics. ;)

yours truly,
    idonthinkthatsyourrealname

9. Biology is the cause of thought? The study of life is the cause of cognition? How is that?

Do you mean that "life" is the cause of thought? So do all forms of life have thought like us? And, how would life be giving rise to thought, without the help of anything else?

10. Not to answer for Sam Spade, he can do that himself.

Why yes. Do you know of any other thinking things besides life, biological beings?

Ofcourse not, don't be silly. The more advanced the brain, the higher cognitive functions achieved.

Evolution. I should think ability to plan and think in abstract terms do have a certain competitive edge over only following instinct. Advanced brains in us was selected upon over other attributes. So we are all in all rather physically weak compared to our traditional prey and natural predators, but we made up for it in planning and adaptation ability. Thus we rule the planet and most eco-systems, and not Tigers for example.

11. then it would follow that life is not the cause of thought.

these are all effects of thought.

kinetic being asked how life would give rise to thought,

we cant explain origin through consequence.

12. But how does the brain achieve thought?

How could chemicals be translated into language, concepts, ideas, dreams, etc? How do groups of atoms reacting give rise to complex thought, self-awareness, etc?

13. It is just a matter of brain complexity. All animals think on some level or other. That we can think, is no more or less fantastic than that we can see, or hear or smell. It is just a function of the competitive nature of evolution. If a trait gives you an edge, superior vision, superior smell, superior physique or superior cognitive functions, that trait tends to be selected upon. Thus going into a positive feedback-loop until the energy needed to push the genetic limit exceeds the resources available.

A more correct question would then be what is life?

14. Do we have a universally agreed on word for how rocks consider their existence as separate objects within a massive universe of other separate and individual objects? And plants? The possibility exists that plants have an actual "understanding" of their environment that could be called "intelligent" in a certain light.

Do heartbeat and blood flow matter in terms of cognition?

Definitely a convenient wish, right? To think abstractly means more survival... well, depends on what you consider surviving, I guess. Survival of the fittest. I wonder what animals' theories are on human rule.

15. If you want to think rocks are sentient, then be my guest. You will have a problem proving it though.

That would be a very dubious light. Naturally plants are aware of certain factors, like temperaure and light, but it do not even begin to approach the level of awareness even simple animals have. Much less us higher animals.

Should it? Do you often think of your heartbeat and blood flow? And even if you do, can you control it? Apart from eating right and not letting things upset you too much ofcourse.

Not really. No guesswork needed. Apart from our rulers, bacteria, what is the most dominant species on earth?

Yes, we are. I'd call that a very successful survival strategy. Breed for cleverness. Got us out of trouble before, probably will again.

That is really simple. They don't have any. Well, perhaps dolphins and some whales do on some level, but even their cognitive functions are less than desirable in a human context.

Oh, and it isn't survival of the fittest per se. It is survival of the ones who can best handle their enviroment.

16. Luckily I'd never attempt that.

Level of awareness? Maybe they have a different type of awareness.

The brain needs blood. Did the brain tell the heart to start pumping it so it could work?

Dominant from the perspective of, a human can have power to control the life of another human? (Substitute animal of choice for the controlled human)

Diversity. Big picture, not picture viewed by a pixel within it.

Yeah, I think theory is human's way of saying I don't know, but this might be nice... Animals probably don't even try to rationalize.

What if we make the environment with our consciousness?

17. With regards to plants:
    Really, what kind? Do you know of any other kind of awareness than being able to observe and interpret our surroundings and our place in it?

Are you saying plants think? Care to point to what neurological functions in the plant that actually do that thinking? At least comparable to say any mammal. Or fish, reptile, bird, insect, arachnid. Doesn't matter.

Or do we believe thinking got nothing to do with neurological functions? In which case, I'd dare you to undergo a lobotomy. Then get back to me. If you got any cognitive skills left that is. Messed up neurons do make a, well, mess.

edit:

Are you saying they got the ability?

18. They don't have the same things to "think" about. :) Perhaps to a 4,000-year old tree we seem like we don't think anymore than bacteria do haha.

Plants don't really have neurons, do they? Neurological analyses would be of little relevance I'd think. But think of it this way to understand where my thoughts are coming from. I asked about heartbeat and blood pumping to the brain because neurological activity requires the functioning of all organs, and it requires a context within which to function. Therefore, the structure of a plant likewise would work in a unified synergy when broken down into its constituent parts. LIke, phloem and xylem for example... and the growth hormones (what are they called again?... I haven't taken biology since 11th grade)... the environmental context is incredibly significant when striving to understand what type of awareness a plant can have. But as a living organism, it responds to its environment-based conditions in an "organi"zed manner. What organizes its manner?

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="432" height="285" id="VE_Player" align="middle"><param name="movie" value="http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/loader.swf"><PARAM NAME="FlashVars" VALUE="bgColor=FFFFFF&file=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/movies/MICHAELPOLLAN-2007_high.flv&autoPlay=false&fullscreenURL=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/fullscreen.html&forcePlay=false&logo=&allowFullscreen=true"><param name="quality" value="high"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"><param name="scale" value="noscale"><param name="wmode" value="window"><embed src="http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/loader.swf" FlashVars="bgColor=FFFFFF&file=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/movies/MICHAELPOLLAN-2007_high.flv&autoPlay=false&fullscreenURL=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/fullscreen.html&forcePlay=false&logo=&allowFullscreen=true" quality="high" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" scale="noscale" wmode="window" width="432" height="285" name="VE_Player" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></object>

We call it an ability, but to an animal it might seem like a necessity (provided it had the ability to understand trends). :p I don't know haha, just saying.