Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Thought this was Dill, what is it?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by BackyardGrower, Nov 23, 2022.

1. So I found some wild dill and added it to my garden. The stuff grows all over VA. When it was young it looked like dill and it tastes dilly.
    I used it to make some great pickles.
    I was excited to harvest seeds for future use, but once it went to seed it no longer looks like dill. All the pics of dill online show flowers that look kinda like carrot flowers, but my plant is just covered everywhere in fuzzy seeds.

Is this a different variety of dill, or an entirely different plant?

Attached Files:

2. ANSWER:
    Here are photos and information about Carum carvi (wild caraway), a native of Asia, Europe and Africa. The seeds as seen on the USDA Plants Database certainly don't look like the ones you describe. However, your plant is likely another member of the Family Apiaceae (Carrot Family). There are many, both native and non-native, and they can be difficult to tell apart. Here are a few possibilities with similar leaves:

Anethum graveolens (Dill) non-native
    Foeniculum vulgare (Fennel) non-native
    Pimpinella anisum (Anise) non-native
    Daucus pusillus (American wild carrot) native to California
    Lomatium utriculatum (Common lomatium) native to California. Here are more photos.
    Torilis arvensis (Hedge parsley) non-native
    Cuminum cyminum (Cumin) non-native

3. Thank you for the response. I don't believe it's any of those plants though. All of those plants have flowers in clusters like carrots do. This just got fuzzy seeds all over, no clusters.
    The young plant looks similar to dill though.

4. You could download a free app. called Plantnet for your phone. Take a photo and answer a few questions. You will likely find your answer. HTH

5. It's Dog Fennel, or Eupatorium capillifolium, it is poisonous and will cause liver damage, which is unfortunate because it's pretty tasty.

• Like Like x 1