This is the best fps game of all time

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Jdahms, Nov 4, 2010.

1. #1 Jdahms, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    So watch these awesome videos and feel depressed that you weren't playing this in 1997

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV07MgjpoLE]YouTube - [HD] TRIBES LEGACY: SKILL (PART 1 of 3)[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY6vZuCNX0Y&feature=channel]YouTube - [HD] TRIBES LEGACY: SPEED (PART 2 of 3)[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ExmlQ1graw&feature=channel]YouTube - [HD] TRIBES LEGACY: TEAM (PART 3 of 3)[/ame]

I've never seen better fps gameplay than in Starsiege tribes. The added element of the jetpack creates a whole different kind of game.

In 1997 starsiege tribes had elements that are still missing/have never been seen in any modern games.

3 kinds of armor. Light, medium, heavy

Multiple vehicles

A BASE FOR EACH TEAM. (why do more games not have this?)

In each base you had power generators, inventory stations, command stations, sensor arrays, defense turrets, vehicle stations, and more that you had to defend and repair when broken (key element in the game)

a Y axis

ability to give waypoints and other commands to team mates

Unique weapons that have never been replicated in other games (disc launcher is one of the GOAT weapons in fps games imo)

and endless steam of different mods that you didnt even need to download to play. There was seriously a mod for any kind of gameplay you want. From military sim to paintball to a mod that puts Forge mode in halo to shame

Open source code

Come on now guys. Starsiege tribes is the GOAT and there isnt anything you can do about it.

TribesNext | Tribes 2 Online Multiplayer
    all thats left of tribes is this. Tribes 2 kept alive by a small group of fans. tribes 2 is a shell of what the original was, but still pretty awesome

2. How come I never heard about it then?

3. I dont know man I never heard of half life until a few years ago and I played games all through the 90s. I've still never played it.

Shit slipped under the radar back then

Tribes had a pretty huge fan base back in the day. Still a loyal fan base keeping tribes 2 alive which I think is pretty good considering the game is 13 years old

Tribes next is free and a small download you should try it. Report back if you manage to get a kill at some point

4. tribes and unreal were my favorites tribes was way to fast for me haha

5. Way too fast is right. I stopped playing tribes years ago and only found out about tribes next recently. I forgot how much faster and more difficult it was than any other shooter and was just getting obliterated by people for a month or two

6. counter-strike

/thread

7. #7 Jdahms, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
    How does CS compete with anything tbh. its very bland and generic and doesnt have anything a bunch of other games dont have

Quake, unreal, tribes, halo series, battlefield series, CoD series all are better than CS imo.

8. counter strike was like the first realistic online computer shooter if i remember correctly.

cs 1.6 is oldd almost as old as tribes possibly.

but its not the best that is sure.

9. ill second that, I still enjoy a game of CS to this day.

10. Simplicity is sometimes the best.

I remember playing Delta Force waaaaaaaaaay back in the day, when I was like 7. Pretty sure they're the first.

11. How can you even say Counter Strike don't compete with anything? Counter Strike is still pretty fuckin popular. I've heard of Counter Strike... Never heard of Tribes...

12. compete? still has a lot of people playing to this day, its one of the FEW fps' to actually get it "right" in my opinion

13. Cod 4. That game was bomb. But the M16 and frag grenades were stupidly overpowered which ruined it a bit. Also it lacked a decent system of spawning.

Actually cancel that. My vote is for the ps2 Nightfire. That game is bomb.